Author Topic: You are a parent for life.  (Read 412 times)

brian54

You are a parent for life.
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
Somebody said I should take equity release and spend the kids inheritance. I don't agree with that. In my view wealth is built up over the generations and you should also try to leave more than you were left.

GrannyMac

Re: You are a parent for life.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »
Won't be difficult in our case! We started from scratch like most people we know. 

Our children have plenty anyway, we invested in their upbringing, and its paid off.  I take more pride in that than if we'd just given them wads of cash.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
My mum didn’t have any cash to leave us.. Just wise words..
 ‘Pay your rent.. If you can’t afford it ,you are not meant to have it.’
I have done well.

I taught my children to always pay their debts. I was very strict about this.

My daughter left me behind in the financial stakes ages ago.. She climed high in her career. She never went to University.

My son lives in a council house.. pays his debts.. Offered a place at Grammar  School but was not interested.. He was a lorry driver and a taxi driver..

I am proud of them both and love them dearly. And we don’t rate our lives on how much we are worth.. We never mention who is paying or who has paid.. We all muck in.. In my opinion that is what a good parent is..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

StephenM123

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
My pension is not very good so our main aim is to leave no debts owing and enough to cover s funeral and a drink. In reality unless there is a massive care bill they should share the equity from the house. They have said many times "Don't go without as we are financially independent".

Not everyone is a parent for life. A friend had disowned his son after he committed a number of violent attacks - commiting both robbery and tape. I would have done the same!

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »
My mum didn’t have any cash to leave us.. Just wise words..
 ‘Pay your rent.. If you can’t afford it ,you are not meant to have it.’
I have done well.

I taught my children to always pay their debts. I was very strict about this.

My daughter left me behind in the financial stakes ages ago.. She climed high in her career. She never went to University.

My son lives in a council house.. pays his debts.. Offered a place at Grammar  School but was not interested.. He was a lorry driver and a taxi driver..

I am proud of them both and love them dearly. And we don’t rate our lives on how much we are worth.. We never mention who is paying or who has paid.. We all muck in.. In my opinion that is what a good parent is..

We'd all be stuffed without lorry drivers & many of us would be without taxi drivers.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)