Author Topic: Would you take to the streets  (Read 1799 times)

fortyone

Would you take to the streets
« on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »
It seem the Gillets Jaunes may well be on the streets of France for a fifth weekend of protest and there is every liklihood that leave supporters here will be getting a reason to protest in the not too distant future.

So...  would you join a march or street protest of any sort? Perhaps you already have -  ban the bomb, miners strike, fuel protest, etc. or in one of the more recent Brexit related marches.

So far living away from centres of conflict and never having felt particularly strongly on any topic I never have. I can't envisage me travelling to participate but I think if there was a local protest I felt strongly about I might well turn up. Not sure if I'd wear silly clothes or carry a banner but I might join a march.

Scrumpy

Re: Would you take to the streets
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »

I would join a protest march if I felt strongly about the protest.. I wouldn't travel far though..
 When the fire brigade were on strike,many years ago, Sam told me that many of the protesters outside the station were unknown to him.. They were travelling pickets from London way.. Out to cause problems.. They were not even fire fighters..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
Apparently it has already started in England. The protesters blew trumpets and sang. They wanted the prime minister to be locked up in an underground dungeon. I should imagine it was fairly low key.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
It seem the Gillets Jaunes may well be on the streets of France for a fifth weekend of protest and there is every liklihood that leave supporters here will be getting a reason to protest in the not too distant future.
So...  would you join a march or street protest of any sort? Perhaps you already have -  ban the bomb, miners strike, fuel protest, etc. or in one of the more recent Brexit related marches.
So far living away from centres of conflict and never having felt particularly strongly on any topic I never have. I can't envisage me travelling to participate but I think if there was a local protest I felt strongly about I might well turn up. Not sure if I'd wear silly clothes or carry a banner but I might join a march.
My wife and I talk about nothing else - why aren't the Leave organisations not organising a mass march.  My wife and I are up for it, regardless of the cost of travel and work involved kitting ourselves out.

We are going through fundamentally undemocractic times, everyone knows that.  Something needs to be done to show the parliamentarian they are our servants, not us them.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
From a BBC report on Gillets Jaune. The people in this protesting about the imbalance of wealth in France with a centralised elite do not look like young tearawawys or hard left/hard right thugs to me although both will be present where the real violence is taking place I suppose. These people don't look vastly different from friends and aquintances yet they are out on the streets.

Just as an aside I'm surprised we haven't been asked yet if anybody here was on the Jarrow hunger march by the usual poster of ridiculous rubbish.

brian54

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »

I would if they try to means test state pensions.
I am nearly paying my state pension back in tax.
Taking in to account council tax I am more than paying it back.

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:21:56 PM »
I have in the past and I would again if the march was in say Manchester.   An awful lot of leave voters are in the north of England and not everyone can get down to London

digitalis

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »

From what I have heard and read the French elite really know how to stuff it away and keep the toothless rabble down. Educated for the jobs with doors made open they all hob nob with one another. At the same time youre not allowed to know what they get up to behind their secret lives due to the privacy laws wherein the hypocrisy would be made known.

As said,theres also some strange goings-on with some of their elites. I might be wrong here,but I heard they insists French film stars are paid the equivalent of their Hollywood brothers and sisters....tho the films theyre in might have an audience of 300. Some of the gravy train lives that are led over there shame our own over here.

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
Another weekend of violent protest coming up in France. Still going strong. 12th weekend on the trot.

Police apparently using crowd control weapons similar the the rubber bullets we last heard about in the UK years ago. Lots of seriously injured demonstrators.

BBC maintaining a virtual silence on this..

Macro claiming the Gillets Jaunes movement infiltrated by both hard left and hard right. No wonder he wants an EU army.

digitalis

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:05:44 PM »

I keep looking for the background story of the gilet jaunes. Nothing found. I want a hour long doc on the forgotten towns in rural France. When last travelling there I saw them hollowed out and remarked on their desolation. I guess they are a bit like Detroit. The top table French intellectuals are as Blair and Mandelson: vipers. They will have their fingers all over the media to control and omit discontent. I'm not sure who inhabits their media: we have the likes of J Simspon over here. Our national media is dominated by a covert bunch of over-paid inbreds. O that they were sacked and their jobs taken over by the willing multi-speaking incomers who they push upon ourselves. These fresh people from multi ethnic backgrounds would do their jobs for a third of their salary. The ex BBC presenters could then move the Grimesthorpe where they could educate all the people they look down upon.

Take to the streets. Yes. I would love to see millions silently walk to protest against the continued globalization. I don't detest the mob. The name is derogatory because of the context it is placed within by those who fear a group of collective individuals whose collective intelligence challenges and betters the smaller staus quo. 

digitalis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

Grimesthorpe featured in the Times today. Pages 8/9?

The people would rather eat stones than have the referendum overturned.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »
My wife and I talk about nothing else - why aren't the Leave organisations not organising a mass march. My wife and I are up for it, regardless of the cost of travel and work involved kitting ourselves out.

We are going through fundamentally undemocractic times, everyone knows that.  Something needs to be done to show the parliamentarian they are our servants, not us them.

You're absolutely spot on BP.

In democratic terms there's a world of difference between broken General Election manifesto pledges & the overturning of a referendum majority vote, where Parliament voted by 82% to honour the result.

This is a reminder of the 2017 general Election manifesto pledges made by the various parties.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-39844115
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:05:00 PM »
The argument for democracy is very strong, as the eu is anything but democratic, yet we still find politicians speaking against returning powers to themselves and our parliarment. Their arguments are singularly weak, but they are voting as we have said elsewhere on this forum, in accordance with their career ambitions, coupled with their desire for wealth and riches without being responsible for anything.

crabbyob

« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
weelll, i was one of mAGGIES supposed rent-a-mob
i marched during the miners strike and would march for this
where-ever they have the march...
a silent march with no bands, and no banners, just the silent majority
tell me the time and the place...
erm can you delay it till after brexit day, cause i'm in foreign parts...
but the people, united, can never be defeated
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »
Trouble is we are not united. There are still half either buying into the European dream or more likely project fear - you know the ones - those who didn't understand what they were actually voting for.  :)