Author Topic: Closing care homes.  (Read 1694 times)

brian54

Closing care homes.
« on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »

I noticed today a fuss is being made about a dementia care home closing and it said some residents may die as a result.
Unfortunately care homes do go out of date and have to be demolished and new ones built.
Some residents will have to move in the middle of their care and may feel disturbed but you can not keep a care home with only 2 people in it for example.
I can remember somebody said their mother died as a result of the move but she may have died anyway.

fortyone

Re: Closing care homes.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
Clearly not very important was it Brian. After all it wasn't your mother so who cares.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:52:57 PM »
OK Brian Please Zip it  :-X This is very close to my own mother's situation. She passed away a few months back, she had worsening dementia and died we are sure, due to a move that she didn't want, but the Doctors made happen, and this is all very close to the knuckle and very raw.  :'(

prestbury

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2018, 10:21:15 PM »
OK Brian Please Zip it  :-X This is very close to my own mother's situation. She passed away a few months back, she had worsening dementia and died we are sure, due to a move that she didn't want, but the Doctors made happen, and this is all very close to the knuckle and very raw.  :'(
Raven, Don't take it to heart, Brian is just an insensitive old goat who should be put out of his misery

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:49:49 PM »
OK Brian Please Zip it  :-X
It'll never happen because Brian usually only reads his own posts.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2018, 05:52:35 AM »
It’s 25 years since I  worked in the NHS , but back then it was clear that some elderly, confused folk did have their ends hastened by the trauma of being moved against their will in as much as they retained enough mental capacity to know what was going on.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
It'll never happen because Brian usually only reads his own posts.
Can anybody suggest a better alternative. 3 homes have closed near to me and have been replaced with 2 larger one.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »
In an ideal world you'd be the only one to read them then they wouldn't keep appearing in the unanswered list.

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:03:08 AM »
Being made to do anything you didn't want to do can be traumatic at our ages, and being taken out of your familiar surroundings where you know the people, and being put in some faceless institution, must be absolutely awful.

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »

It is all very sad and it would break my heart if it was a member of my family being moved out from an environment that they had become used to..
However, when changes are being made there is always someone that is going to be hurt.  I can't think of any other way that it can be done without causing upset to people. 
 It's a very delicate situation.. I do think Brian's remark  'she may have died anyway' very insensitive...
But then, Brian is insensitive.. where there is a situation that doesn't affect him and his family..  Come the day Brian, come the day..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »
I spent a fair bit of time in my working life telling managers they don't need to do this, it doesn't solve your problem, or it solves a problem that doesn't exist. Sometimes things are done simply because the people doing them need to be seen to be doing something.

I don't remember them taking my advice, ever.

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »
Can anybody suggest a better alternative. 3 homes have closed near to me and have been replaced with 2 larger one.
A NORMAL reaction would have been to say " Sorry Raven, I didn't know about your Mum " and left it at that.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »
I fail to see how Brian could have known about Raven's circumstances.

The forum will always have posts that will upset or offend other members.

I imagine that members, who may be estranged from their children / grandchildren, could be upset by the insensitivity shown by those members who wax lyrical about what they're doing with their families at Christmas, birthdays, school events etc.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
You're right of course Diasi, but sometimes we need to think about how we are saying or writing things.  I'm with Scrumpy, a little empathy goes a long way. 

I was involved with clearing an almost empty sheltered council housing block. It was dated, mainly bedsits, and applications to live there were non-existant.  There was a lovely resident warden, but there were only a handful of residents left, mainly men.

Sensitive discussions with the residents and, if they wanted, their families, led to them all being suitably rehoused, to places of their choice.  Visits were organised, and everything possible was done to help make the residents move as stress free as possible.  Everyone was eventually settled, two old friends went to the same accommodation, one lady moved nearer her family. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

ronyork

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »
I am looking forward (I don.t think! to paying care home fee,s for my wife her dementia is now really bad) in the back of my mind I am thinking of popping over to France securing a boat pick a nice day remove all forms of identity from her place her in the same tell her she is of for a boat ride, and join all the scroungers from god knows where and  receive all the care FREE, Would it work . A joke of course,/////? ??? ???