Author Topic: unwanted christmas presents,  (Read 300 times)

Alfred

unwanted christmas presents,
« on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »

Im sure im not alone as in the past i have Christmas presents that iv gratefully accepted but found that for example mens socks weren't big enough for me , and so tactfully iv over time left them with either a charity shop or the sally army to help raise funds for their causes,

and im sure there may be some forum members who have found them selves with a present which they too have accepted gratefully and later donated the present to a charitable cause,

Q; have you ever had this happen to you and if so will you tell us what you did about it,.

GrannyMac

Re: unwanted christmas presents,
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »
I got some toiletries that I don't like the smell of, (Royal Jelly) so I gave the set to my granddaughter for her school fete. 

We get lots of unwanted gifts handed in at the charity shop in the weeks after Christmas.  A great time to pick up a bargain!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:17:16 PM »
I would think that if the original recipient didn't want it it's probably crap.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »

One year I had a pair of yellow and black striped leg warmers .
I looked like a wasp..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
Some presents are destined to do the rounds. To avoid embarrassment make sure you know where stuff came from before passing it on.  Don't buy crap or you may get it back in a few years as it does the circuit.

We have a couple of joke presents that go back and forth each year. One is a Hari Krishna cook book my daughter bought years back to ger rid of some and gave to my wife who gave it back the next year and so on. It must have got lost by one or the other as I haven't seen it in a while. The other is a pair of horrible frilly knickers that go back and forth between wife and a friend of hers. They seem to have vanished too of late.  

little bob

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
A pair of Braces--never worn them since I was aged10 ::) --anybody want em? Ashy,  Zoony, 41

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »
I quite like the idea of braces Bob. Nothing tight around the waist..But from what I remember from being a kid, they were always rather awkward if one had to undress and redress to use the loo..bit like suspenders and stockings I suspect..

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:29:02 AM »
 ??? ....nope, ladies don't do anything to stockings/suspenders when using the loo! if my memory serves me right.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:49:49 AM »
I bow to your superior knowledge. I had a brief encounter with the aforementioned which lasted only a few years before bloody tights took over. The end of coming-of-age fantasies for a generation of boys. Mrs Robinson popped up, which was nice but no. After that, stockings and sussies became a sex industry staple. All the innocence and stimulation of the fleeting glance of a lovely female stranger's urgent need for adjustment lost forever. All things must pass but some are sadder than others.

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:30:48 AM »
I would think that if the original recipient didn't want it it's probably crap.. ;D

You'd be surprised. We get some rubbish - but some great stuff too. Molton Brown, Ted Baker, Body Shop etc. Not crap, just not to their taste. 

And minnie is right, no adjustment needed 😉
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Traveller

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:50:15 AM »
Last year I was given an expensive bottle of 'artisan'  vodka.  I can't stand the stuff and spent ages trying to give it away.  It's currently with my daughter who is trying to find someone who likes it.  In a previous year, the same people gave me a bottle of bourbon which I couldn't stand either.  Fortunately I knew somebody who did drink it.

This year, not so bad - a set of very 'twee' china mugs and a scented candle in a fancy glass.   They'll both go to charity shops well away from home.
You'll have had your tea.