Author Topic: Back in time for school.  (Read 1725 times)

Traveller

Back in time for school.
« on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Anyone see this (Thu. BBC2) ?  I was a bit irritated by it - a 'bleeding heart' teacher in her Victorian costume reading from a late 19th century text book, moaning about its content, and the pupils being all PC in their responses.

Yes,  by today's standards, the views of the Victorians towards the natives of other countries may seem shocking, as was teaching boys to fire rifles,  but surely the programme was meant to replicate the education experience as it was - not criticise it. 
Another case of disguised propaganda??
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

Re: Back in time for school.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
Anyone see this (Thu. BBC2) ?  I was a bit irritated by it - a 'bleeding heart' teacher in her Victorian costume reading from a late 19th century text book, moaning about its content, and the pupils being all PC in their responses.

Yes,  by today's standards, the views of the Victorians towards the natives of other countries may seem shocking, as was teaching boys to fire rifles,  but surely the programme was meant to replicate the education experience as it was - not criticise it. 
Another case of disguised propaganda??

A lot of history is being rewritten & air-brushed, well a lot of UK history.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:38:20 AM »
I have not watched it. I did watch when they went back inside a regular household. It was interesting to see and remember how the fashions and food changed over the decades..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
I've not seen it and you may be right Traveller.  The Victorians, if I know my history, were the first generation to expand education to the masses.  Many municipal schools were built at the end of the 19th century.   

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
There were bleeding heart liberals around many years ago but I doubt if they would have been school teachers, because schools taught patriotism. Liberal thinkers brought about some good reforms for instance of prisons, hospitals, and the abolition of slavery, all areas in which Britain led the world. (Fry, Nightingale and Wilberforce to name but three)

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
There were bleeding heart liberals around many years ago but I doubt if they would have been school teachers, because schools taught patriotism. Liberal thinkers brought about some good reforms for instance of prisons, hospitals, and the abolition of slavery, all areas in which Britain led the world. (Fry, Nightingale and Wilberforce to name but three)

They'd be castigated for virtue signalling these days! 🙄
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Johned

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
They still teach boys (and girls) to fire rifles and kill their fellow human beings Traveller, to whit the public school in our little town with their CCF contingent.  What wryly amuses me, purely as an aside, there are a number of fee paying pupils from China who I see around in cadet uniform and I wonder how this squares with their government as these youngsters are Chinese nationals.  Very polite they are too.

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:39:32 PM »
My daughter, who is a senior university lecturer,  teaches mainly Chinese students.  She says that there are many cultural differences - one being their attitude to success.  For example, she would regard a mark of 70% in some modules as being very good, while the Chinese would regard anything less than 95% as a failure.  Back home it was not unknown for parents to punish their children for 'failing' with 70%.

However, back to the programme where I felt it was quite unnecessary for a modern teacher to criticise what was taught 120 years ago in light of today's views.  It was after all meant to give the pupils a taste of what schooling was like then, not a lesson on what was wrong with it.
You'll have had your tea.

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »

It's possible; but in point of fact they were right in those times, and in most cases only asked for small improvements, and very often went and did the work themselves -  and at their own expense.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:48:26 PM »

Actually they wouldn't because they didn't do virtue-signalling, they campaigned for changes & did something so they didn't need to play the moral superiority card.

The virtue-signallers are the ones who actually don't do anything except use morally superior rhetoric.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)