Author Topic: How will I know?  (Read 428 times)

Michael Rolls

How will I know?
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »
In one of the little catalogues that come unbidden, full of things you didn't know that you couldn't live without, there is an advert for a wristwatch which is 'accurate to within one second in 138,000,000 years'. So, how do I tell if it really is - and do I have to hang around for that length of time to find out?
Mike  ;D ;D
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

Re: How will I know?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:34:45 AM »
It still won't tell the correct time if you don't set it right unless it is radio controlled and even then it needs setting to the right time zone.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
According to the blurb it is radio controlled and automatically adjusts for time zones, BST, etc., except in countries where there is no appropriate signal
Mike (but I'm still not buying one - I'm not waiting 138,000,000 years to see if I can refer it the the ASA!)

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Automatic time zones eh? It must have built in GPS too.

I'll just make do with my phone which does all of that as a sideline. Apart from the auto timezone - from memory I had to select that when it was first set up but I'll live with the inconvenience.

As it won't last for 138m years you don't need to bother about a claim on ASA rules anyway.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
It still won't tell the correct time if you don't set it right unless it is radio controlled and even then it needs setting to the right time zone.

My radio controlled watches & clocks, by default, use the nearest in-range transmitter which is (or was when I last checked) Rugby. The only other in-range transmitter is Frankfurt so I'd have to manually programme them to not tell GMT times.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
The Rugby transmitter shut down some time ago although there is UK one still.

They all operate on different frequencies so the receiver would normally be set depending on the target market area. In Europe it would be tuned either for MSF at Anthorn UK 60Khz or DFC77 Germany 77.5KHz. I have at least one device (a weather station) which uses the German one and that is incorrect if not set to the correct time zone. I have an analogue radio controlled clock with no method of setting a different time zone. If I moved abroad it would either be wrong if still in range or no longer adjust for errors. I don't know which transmitter it is actually tuned to.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:18:19 PM »
I'll stick with my sundial
Mike   ;D ;D ;D

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
What time does that say right now Mike?  For maxinmum convenience you need a wrist model along with a torch for 24x7 operation.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »
What time does that say right now Mike?  For maxinmum convenience you need a wrist model along with a torch for 24x7 operation.
Midnight? Midday? I blame it on Brexit, you know  ;D ;D
Mike

Johned

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »
The old sundial in my back garden was good enough for my forebears and is good enough for me, thankyou!

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
I must admit that since retiring I virtually never wear a watch.