Author Topic: the worlds richest person.  (Read 1508 times)

Alfred

the worlds richest person.
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:12:46 PM »

Apparently the worlds richest person is the founder of amazon, and he  is said to be worth 137.1 billion dollars , so sadly when he leaves this earth where or could his money go and to whom.,will his money  make so much interest that  his money would grow faster than he could say  spend it ,??

then comes the point where or how could he spend it …………..on what or who that's assuming that he wanted to, ? 
can a person be happy or will that amount of money become a misery as he can buy any thing he wanted,??

Q;  so what is the point of having so much money that it must become a misery as the millions. well say a billions of us could benefit if we were given a dollar or two  for every person on the planet,

So if you had these billions of dollars what would, or could you do with it , as im sure the answers will make some very interesting reading,...…………….your turn,?

sparky

Re: the worlds richest person.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »
Well for starters, he could take on Brian as his financial advisor,

prestbury

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
Well for starters, he could take on Brian as his financial advisor,
I have a feeling that maybe he would take a rain check on that offer ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:32:43 PM »
At 81 years of age and a widower, if I had millions a lot would go to charities, after the obvious step of ensuring family members were OK
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Johned

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:30:22 PM »
Very fine of you Michael Rolls and I'm sure your gesture is well meant but I object to the large amount of any donation to charities going toward the salaries, expenses and pension provision for the executives of same.  If I enjoyed a very large win, I would like to endow a large public lavatory with washing and shower facilities manned 24/7 for our "touristy" town.  Only today, I was accosted by a gentleman who said he was feeling very uncomfortable (nice way to put it) and could I direct him to the nearest gentlemans' convenience?  Our barely adequate facility being too far distant and which closes at 5.30 pm, I directed him to the NHS surgery close by where he could find relief!  I would also like to endow a comfortable hostel for the homeless and transient, fully staffed with pastoral and medical care and provision of meals.  However I do have to win the money first! 

fortyone

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:03:34 PM »
The oft reviled Bill Gates has set up a large charitable foundation.

AFAIK the much lauded Steve Jobs did next to bugger all for charity.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:13:18 PM »
The oft reviled Bill Gates has set up a large charitable foundation.

Not just he but his wife Melinda has much to do with that excellent use of his good fortune. $28 Billion and counting.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:33:31 AM »
Very fine of you Michael Rolls and I'm sure your gesture is well meant but I object to the large amount of any donation to charities going toward the salaries, expenses and pension provision for the executives of same.  If I enjoyed a very large win, I would like to endow a large public lavatory with washing and shower facilities manned 24/7 for our "touristy" town.  Only today, I was accosted by a gentleman who said he was feeling very uncomfortable (nice way to put it) and could I direct him to the nearest gentlemans' convenience?  Our barely adequate facility being too far distant and which closes at 5.30 pm, I directed him to the NHS surgery close by where he could find relief!  I would also like to endow a comfortable hostel for the homeless and transient, fully staffed with pastoral and medical care and provision of meals.  However I do have to win the money first!
John
I share your view of charities with high wage bills for senior people. It is, however, possible to find out what proportion of donations actually goes to the intended service - I would choose very carefully - but I do like your idea of a hostel - may I shanghai it please? That is, if the money ever comes my way
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:55:43 AM »
If large charities were run by people on minimum wage or even more cheaply, volunteers, they wouldn't last very long.  Whilst I agree some of the top salaries are inflated, I don't underestimate the value of good business acumen, organisational and marketing skills. 

The CEO and other senior managers of my chosen charity, the BHF, are paid well for their skills.  The organisation has put enormous amounts of money into research, resulting in cutting deaths from heart disease by half.  In 1961 51% of deaths in the UK were from heart disease, now its one in four and improving.  I doubt that could have been achieved by a few willing volunteers! (Of which I am one).  https://www.bhf.org.uk/what-we-do/our-research/our-successes/the-difference-the-bhf-has-made-since-1961#last

I like the idea of endowing a hostel for the homeless, more are needed.  The ongoing costs of paying staff on a 24 hour basis and maintaining accommodation that won't always be lovingly treated, would take a huge investment if intended to be in perpetuity - I suspect far more than the initial outlay for a suitable building.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:51:06 AM »
Granny
No disagreement with what you are saying - but in my not so very humble opinion some charities are almost self consuming with only a small proportion of the money raised going to the intended purpose.
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »

Oh to have a few million...I would (worry) what to do with it after it is safely in my bank.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
Granny
No disagreement with what you are saying - but in my not so very humble opinion some charities are almost self consuming with only a small proportion of the money raised going to the intended purpose.
Mike

This exact issue was featured on a recent TV programme about charity shops where members of the public were asked to say how much money they thought was spent on the actual charity work.

They were gobsmacked at some of the amounts as low as a couple of pence in the £ raised.

In 2017 / 2018 the BHF raised £170 million & spent £42 million on admin which is 24.71% & while at the high end of the scale it still seems a lot to me.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »

There are rich pickings for them at the top .. It is the REAL folk who work FREE in the charity shops who should be applauded.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »
Most of my charity shop donations go to the local age concern shop. They got caught out in a scam involving selling something or other to pensioners at over the odds prices. I still take my stuff there as the one over the road is a private charity financing Christian missionaries and my conscience would never allow me to assist such a terrible cause.

I decided to look up the scam I mentioned
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/12/age-uk-chair-defends-controversial-eon-pensioner-tariff
In doing so I also found
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/01/age-concern-chief-executive-stole-70000-charity-paying-cheques/

I'll still take my stuff there rather than foist missionaries on poor unsuspecting natives though.

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »

I'll still take my stuff there rather than foist missionaries on poor unsuspecting natives though.

What's made you take that position on missionaries?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)