Author Topic: clean air/pollution?  (Read 672 times)

Alfred

clean air/pollution?
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »

where ever you live whether it be in London or out in the sticks i wonder what is the condition of the air we breath in our lungs, im sure people in the densely populated area of London will haver a poorer quality of air where as people living near the coast or  in the country side would i assume have a better quality of air ,where trees are situated,, such as parks and forests, for example,

What if anything is the government doing or should be doing about the quality of fresh air that we breath,as it most likely  varies from county to county, and what of the side effects of poor quality air is it responsible for causing  say asthma

or people suffering from breathing problems as a result of what we breath in our lungs.
particularly with the fumes given off by traffic fumes, for example,?

Q; so do you have any thoughts as to what if anything could be done to ensure people where ever they live, have a good quality of air to breath, and  if so what should be done about it

zoony

Re: clean air/pollution?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »
Already happening this year Alfred.The Gov have a new air quality plan in place.

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/airquality/air-quality-plan-for-tackling-nitrogen-dioxide/supporting_documents/Draft%20Revised%20AQ%20Plan.pdf         Enjoy! ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
We don't have that problem up here, just lung fulls of good clean fresh air... ;D

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »
Having been brought up in London during the 1960s I am confident that air quality today is far better than it was then. However for some reason a lot of people have come along in the mean time who are evidently susceptible to our air.

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »
We had fog.. so much fog when I was young..
I remember having to walk in front of my first husband’s motor when we drove pass the common and lakes .. He couldn’t see where he was going..
and that was on the way to the pub.!  I can’t remember what it was like on the way back...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

sparky

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:32:44 PM »
Strange this should come up, it appears a company has just started to sell air in quite small bottles  collected from where I live for £60 a time, so with my walk along the river this morning, I must have breathed in hundreds of pounds worth  of  the stuff, and it did not cost me a penny, when I see it on our local TV news, two days ago,  I thought it must be an April fool joke, but no. and it appears it is selling to the many tourists we get from abroad.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
Having been brought up in London during the 1960s I am confident that air quality today is far better than it was then. However for some reason a lot of people have come along in the mean time who are evidently susceptible to our air.

Yes, the air in a jungle, with all those trees to purify it, wouldn't be the same as the air in Clapham.

Having said that, in the 1950s you could smell Lagos from 10 miles offshore according to one of our neighbours who worked there for a bank.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
When we went to Cuba last year, I was confined to the hotel grounds, next to the sea where the air was clean. 

We went out of the hotel early in the holiday and a man on a moped was driving a lot of horses up the hill along the road (I don't know what happens when a car comes the other way).

The exhaust fumes from the moped gave me a bad asthma attack and it was fortunate I had my inhaler handy.  Cuba has a fuel problem, maybe because of the embargo with America and my OH, who has worked with fuel, reckons it was probably a home brew.

We had plans to go to Havana etc. but after consulting the other holidaymakers about the exhaust fumes from the beautiful old cars, I decided it was better for me to stay put.