Author Topic: putting animals on a diet,  (Read 1021 times)

Alfred

putting animals on a diet,
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:00:40 AM »

In the past we had a cat which over time lost his waist line and so we decided much to the cats annoyance cut down on his food simply to get him into shape and fitness ,

of course he roams and wanders into other peoples gardens and no doubt  has found extra food, or resorting to catching birds midges or any thing which took his interest , so the battle to get him into shape was very  difficult as going out and about meant at least he could or should burn of excess fat , well that's what we thought,

on occasions iv seen in magazines even national papers of  animals well over weight , recently i read of a cat who was 16 pounds over weight , and although he was a beautiful cat he was a porker,

iv even seen dogs in a similar capacity ,so it seems animals as well as humans can also have dietary problems , 

Q;  have you ever been in a situation whereby you thought ill have to slim my pet down , and if so what did you do about it,  as many people have got their animals into shape in not say over feeding them for example , so what are your views regarding putting animals on a diet,

Scrumpy

Re: putting animals on a diet,
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »
We are responsible for our pets.. I love cats and my neighbour's cat used to come over the wall to see me. He spent hours sitting in my kitchen and sunroom... Did I feed him ?... No. Yet he still came..
 I don't think fat pets look cute.. usually the owners don't either.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
I had to put my Pashka on a diet thanks to a young Vet. Old English Sheepdogs used to be square bodied and looked chunky then it was bred out of them so they were more slimline looking. Pashka was a throw back to the original shape and I knew that as soon as I saw her as a baby. She didn't overeat and ate less than my other two but she still looked bigger. I used to hear her tummy rumbling with hunger pangs and I ended up refusing to do it to her anymore. I had a bit of a row with the Vet who IMO was still wet behind her ears then I changed Vets. Poor wee Pash was so glad to get proper food again.

minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »
The Vet put my daughter's cat on a diet.  He was taken to be weighed once a month but hadn't lost any weight and sometimes even gained.  The next door neighbour's cat had gone missing but they were still putting food out for him in the hope he would return.  It turned out my daughter's cat was entering their cat flap at night and helping himself.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that people sometimes feed pets treats to make themselves feel less guilty about eating them...Not dog treats, human ones.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »
All of my dogs have had to earn their treats, rewards for doing something I asked of them, or at Training Classes. The only human food they get is wee tiny squares of cheese or a wee bit of cooked sausage. Those are training treats for learning only, rest of the time it's doggie treats only.

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »

The dog in the picture.. Don't you just want to cuddle him..!  I do..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »

The dog in the picture.. Don't you just want to cuddle him..!  I do..

Her ;D . Her name was Pashka, and yes she was a big cuddly lass.

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »
i miss-understood this thread
i put cow down as my diet...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »
...how dairy you!  ;D
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:47:45 PM »
Oh my Raven she’s gorgeous I always wanted one of them .
After losing our Airedale we now have a Chorkiepoo ( Yorkie , chihuahua , poodle X )
She only has to give my OH that look and he’s smitten , I’ve never known him so soft with any of our other dogs .
She loves chewing even the toughest of toys and also take toys apart
We’ve had her 2 years now

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Thankyou Maddie, I have always loved OES, we had them when I was growing up and they were my playmates. I too have had them all my adult life in threes n fours. Can't just have one lol. Dageus, the dog I have now is just like a black OES, same size and shape, same double coat that keeps on growing, but he's an only child lol.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:45:27 PM »
And not a paint can to be seen.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »

awww!!  I couldn't choose between them..

Raven

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
And not a paint can to be seen.. ;)

Maggie became a real Dulux Dog one summer when she brushed along a newly painted shop front  ::)  She had green paint in her coat for ages, it had to be cut out on a Groomers visit.