Author Topic: Europe not the EU  (Read 714 times)

crabbyob

Europe not the EU
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:01:15 AM »
As we near the end, we’re still no closer to knowing how this story finishes.
Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement is as dead as her previous Chequers Proposal, and the likelihood of a no deal Brexit seems more likely by the day.
One thing that is certain however, is the split between the economic reality facing EU members and the politicking that the EU itself is engaged with.
On Tuesday evening, as the historic defeat in the Commons was confirmed, the German Foreign Minister gave an impassioned speech to his colleagues, urging them to get the UK round the table oncemore, in order to defend German industry.
Mr Maas told to German MPs in the Bundestag: “In the coming days and weeks, we will do everything we can so that Britain exits with and not without an agreement.”
This sentiment was echoed across European parliaments, as the economic reality of Brexit took hold within the corridors of power across the continent.
If a deal is impossible, and no one wants no deal, then who will finally have the courage to say what the only positive solution is?
— Donald Tusk (@eucopresident) January 15, 2019
However, Tusk, Juncker et al, are not elected from any particular country; the job they have is to serve the EU as a collective, almost federal-like being.  Politically, they need the UK to suffer, to be divided, in order to appear strong and unified as well as scaring off other nations from following suit.
Something will have to give.
The UK runs a trade deficit with the EU; meaning, in brute economic terms, the EU needs the UK that little bit more than the UK needs the EU.  That’s why the sensible ministers across parliaments are calling for better terms for the UK, they need a happy UK in order to carry on being economically strong.
Something which would not be in the interests of the EU.
However, Tusk, Juncker et al, are not elected from any particular country; the job they have is to serve the EU as a collective, almost federal-like being.  Politically, they need the UK to suffer, to be divided, in order to appear strong and unified as well as scaring off other nations from following suit.

copied and pasted... but factual non the less
View image on Twitter

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

Re: Europe not the EU
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »
It could all be done and dusted before you return to these shores but I certainly wouldn't put any money on it. Your flight might have to take the shipping route too to avoid EU airspace.....

Oh don't be too sure May's deal is dead as last I heard she isn't and I reckon that is all that will make her stfu about how wonderful it is.

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »
well i once had to spend an extra two weeks here because of an Icelandic ash cloud...and i managed that disaster fine.... but i have an appointment with a surgeon a few days after Brexit... [unless you lot have chucked him out while i was away]... nae bother whatever happens...but i need to be home, according to one poster on here i am an immigrant so i might have to apply for permanent residence... well semi permanent.... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »
A week is a long time in politics. By the time you come back Krankie may have declared UDI and you'll need a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh and a plan for crossing Hadrian's Wall which will probably be fortified.

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:03:29 PM »
which side will fortify it... ;D

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
A week is a long time in politics. By the time you come back Krankie may have declared UDI and you'll need a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh and a plan for crossing Hadrian's Wall which will probably be fortified.

I know it's serious stuff and I shouldn't larf BUT the thought of Crabby on all fours sneaking along Hadrian's wee stone dyke looking for a place to sneak through. It's too much.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
nae bother hen, i am a trained soldier, i was a ninja before my time... ;D
i wouldnt be needing to creep, i would march right up tae the big gate..[they will put gates in the wall waint they?] and i would shout thru the letter-box
"Krankie ya wee bam...open yer een an shut yer mooth...jist fur a chinge like"
can someone up there no teach her how to walk in thae high-heels, she walks like a twelve year old practising wi her maws shoes on...

xetog

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »

It has been clear for a long time that the European Union as an organisation has created itself as a supra-national state that exists without land that sees no need to consider the well being of any of its constituent nations.  The existence of the EU is an end in itself and the welfare or desires of individual nation states has no importance whatsoever.  This is one of the reasons I voted to leave what now seems an age ago. For the EU it's a bit like a committing suicide and hoping that their soul will continue onto greater and better things after death.

The EU no longer listens to the pleas of either national governments of internal organisations that a hard Brexit will cause them great harm and even drive them all into recession because its own continued existence in spirit matters above all.  If the UK gets a deal that is seen as being 'good' then other nations will begin queuing up to do the same. If the EU should loose say two or three other major nations like Italy, Greece, Spain or Portugal, the EU will no longer be seen as representing Europe.  Take the Irish. their businesses admit a hard Brexit would destroy the Irish economy, yet their government still refuse to consider any easing of the backstop in the hope that other forces may win the day.  The dangers of a breakup of the EU which could be precipitated by a hard Brexit are  evident, particularly the failure of the Euro which would almost certainly mean the destruction of the German power house because it is only the fiscal advantage they get from the Euro which stokes their industrial fires.  The idea that the UK would emerge unscathed from the resulting carnage is fanciful although the impact on us might not be as great,.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
nae bother hen, i am a trained soldier, i was a ninja before my time... ;D
i wouldnt be needing to creep, i would march right up tae the big gate..[they will put gates in the wall waint they?] and i would shout thru the letter-box
"Krankie ya wee bam...open yer een an shut yer mooth...jist fur a chinge like"
can someone up there no teach her how to walk in thae high-heels, she walks like a twelve year old practising wi her maws shoes on...

She's an expert in heels that height compared to me. I'm like a jelly in a high wind. ;D ;D

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »
As we near the end, we’re still no closer to knowing how this story finishes.
Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement is as dead as her previous Chequers Proposal, and the likelihood of a no deal Brexit seems more likely by the day.
One thing that is certain however, is the split between the economic reality facing EU members and the politicking that the EU itself is engaged with.
On Tuesday evening, as the historic defeat in the Commons was confirmed, the German Foreign Minister gave an impassioned speech to his colleagues, urging them to get the UK round the table oncemore, in order to defend German industry.
Mr Maas told to German MPs in the Bundestag: “In the coming days and weeks, we will do everything we can so that Britain exits with and not without an agreement.”
This sentiment was echoed across European parliaments, as the economic reality of Brexit took hold within the corridors of power across the continent.

CrabbyOB,
That is one fantastic item of News [False/Real], what is its provenance?

fortyone

xetog

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »

IMF quoted by the Guardian:

"The UK’s GDP will grow by 1.5% this year, should it secure an agreement to leave the EU, and 1.6% in 2020 – 0.1 percentage points higher than previously forecast, while Germany will slump to 1.3% in 2019, down 0.3 percentage points, before recovering to 1.6% in 2020. Italy’s GDP will drop 0.4 percentage points to 0.6% this year before climbing to 0.9% in 2020."

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »
Don't let Project Fear see that!!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
Don't let Project Fear see that!!
Mike
Indeed, we are fed a pack of lies, anything to scare us into staying in the EU.
The UK's economic prospects are pretty good, in or out of the EU.
https://order-order.com/2019/01/21/imf-uk-will-fastest-growing-european-g7-country-brexit/

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:00:40 AM »
Baz, it was summit i read on facebook and thought our wee forum might enjoy