Author Topic: Patisserie Valerie  (Read 1474 times)

digitalis

Patisserie Valerie
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »

Goodbye. Ta-ra.

I never went there. I often used to walk past its fathers in Soho. Have eaten lottsa cakes and wotnot in France and others: yum yum. You knw when it became franchised it was gonna be muck: fresh produce(3 months old?),with spray can cream. There woz gonna be not taste to it. All show,no knickers(is that the phrase?)

Best o luck and good fortune to the guys who franchised it out: the suckers who bought into it take the hiding,I guess.

Wottaloadocobblers: you do have to wonder how they sell some foodstuffs. Chainsosandwich makers theseadays. Have you tasted any. Cardboard anyone? Better to buy something from Argos,throw it away,and then eat the surrounding packaging: Mmmmmmm.

Have all but given up most common sweets these days: either my tastebuds have gone(a possibility)or the new global owners have downgraded old recipes to make it pap syrup. I have bin wondering whether its best to buy such sweets in bulk by just buying the sacks o chemical syrup and scooping up the dross straight into my mouth. I guess with the 'sweet' you do get the wrapper.

Diasi

Re: Patisserie Valerie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
I'd never heard of them until they first made the news a few weeks back.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »

All show , no knickers (is that the phrase)?

All fur coat and no drawers....  My mum used to say..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

We have a Patisserie Valerie in our outlet centre.  It is not scheduled for closure as it is very popular, although lord knows why. I have been in there twice.  the first time I walked out because the service was so slow, the second we were with visitors who were seduced by the wonderful display of cakes.  Service was so bad, having completed our meal I had to walk into the kitchen and pour our coffees myself after several times drawing the attention of the staff to our wait.  The kitchen staff protested, but at least we got our coffees.  I should have refused to pay, but with visitors present I wanted no more fuss.  Strangely my daughter took me into their branch in Clapham (also not for closure).  I did not realise until I was inside but the service and food was excellent.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
I've noticed them because my wife's name is Valerie but we've never been in one. From memory a director was caught embezzling the funds leaving a huge financial black hole. News yesterday was that they were in administration so I imagine the lot will go. Gregg's (?) amazing vegan sausage roll will rule the shopping centres. To be fair I don't think most sausage rolls are all that far from vegan anyway.

xetog

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »

The administrator is keeping profitable branches open hoping for an offer.  Except for the £40m black embezzlement hole they were apparently a gold mine, so there is a good chance that someone will buy them out of administration.  Never had a Greggs sausage roll, vegan or otherwise.

Mike.X

StephenM123

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »
There is one in Debenhams in one of the retail parks in Stevenage. Service was incredibly slow. You spend more time waiting than you spend drinking the coffee and eating your cake or WHY. There is also one in Baldock Services on the A1. Far more pleasant environment than the one in Stevenage but, again, slow service even when near empty.

I rarely eat sausage rolls but the hog roast ones in BP's petrol stations are the meatiest if a touch greasy.

stellamaris

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »
I haven't been to this place, nor to any of the other desert, ice cream, parlours that seem to have sprung up in the most unlikely places.  It was bad timing I think when everyone is now avoiding sugar as much as possible.   If it is possible to just buy coffee in them and they stay open late, it would be a nice, new take on the coffee bars we used to inhabit in the early 60s.  An awful lot of young people seem to hang around McDonalds as late as possible.   I often use McDonalds for late night coffee or tea and is always interesting to see the parade of youngsters meeting up, all dressed up and probably going nowhere but home afterwards.  Really sweet.  The near midnight crowd are are much older but still well behaved.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:47:30 PM »
I've been to Valerie's Cake shop in Chester and Liverpool and both are on the list to close, as are quite a few in the North.  The cakes were lovely and the coffee was ok BUT so expensive imo.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:22:21 PM »
You pay extra in any faux froggie place. Patisserie or Boulangerie means at least double bubble.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
Never heard of them before they hit the finance pages a little while ago.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:39:22 AM »
Never heard of them before they hit the finance pages a little while ago.
Mike

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who'd never heard of them until the embezzlement scandal.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

brian54

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:55:09 AM »
I don't know why Patisserie Valerie is closing. I have never bought anything from them. I thought they were Druckers in the past.

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
I don't know why Patisserie Valerie is closing. I have never bought anything from them. I thought they were Druckers in the past.

Druckers run Vienna Patisserie.

There's one in the Touchwood Shopping Centre.

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:06:02 AM »

As a group they have been very successful, but few food outlets except perhaps McDonalds could survive the embezzlement of £40m.

Mike.X