Author Topic: Ouch...  (Read 2230 times)

zoony

Ouch...
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »
MOT yesterday. New catalytic converter needed. Car's not well either. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

firenze

Re: Ouch...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »
My experience too Zoony....sadly I chose - begone my petrol guzzling friend!  Honestly I'm torn! I decided to be retired from mechanical horses. Miss him/her and sadly the freedom, but have an excuse for a sedantry lifestyle. Still exploring but sure that at some point I will settle, boredom maybe but easy life maybe. Just when do you decide I'm supposed to get old!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
Not ready for that sort of isolation just yet Firenze. Public transport round here is surprisingly bad and life without my car unthinkable. I s'pose it'll happen one day but I'll put up a fight..

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »
My old banger is playing up too Zoon, the garage man said he thinks it's gear box bearing ?  Whatever that is it's gonna cost a few bob either £400 for a 2nd hand one or £700 to get mine refurbished - think I've got that right  ;D   Anyway, the car isn't worth much now, but like you I'd be lost without it. 

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:06:22 PM »
A new one on me was "The headlights need polishing.." Apparently Toyota use some kind of clear plastic for the HL covers which becomes a bit opaque over time. According to Dennis a bit of Brasso will take care of it. Who'da thunk it?

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
My current car is a Ford Focus Estate - but regardless of what I have, be it Del Boy Special or Rolls Royce, life up here would be very limited (unless using cabs for everything). Public transport - well, it exists but to regard it as useful makes it a bit of an oxymoron. At 81 I do wonder how long I will be able to drive (and Bloody Edinburgh isn't helping!), because once I can no longer do so, the outlook is a bit bleak. As a widower, every now and then the loneliness gets to me and I feel the walls closing in, so I'll go out for a drive for an hour or even two - just to get away - can't really see that as practical in a cab and certainly not by bus (an endangered species).
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:05:04 AM »
My current car is a Ford Focus Estate - but regardless of what I have, be it Del Boy Special or Rolls Royce, life up here would be very limited (unless using cabs for everything). Public transport - well, it exists but to regard it as useful makes it a bit of an oxymoron. At 81 I do wonder how long I will be able to drive (and Bloody Edinburgh isn't helping!), because once I can no longer do so, the outlook is a bit bleak. As a widower, every now and then the loneliness gets to me and I feel the walls closing in, so I'll go out for a drive for an hour or even two - just to get away - can't really see that as practical in a cab and certainly not by bus (an endangered species).
Mike

It was discussed on Sky News a few days ago & someone said they hoped it didn't lead to a knee-jerk reaction of bringing in an upper age limit for drivers as not many older drivers can afford a chauffeur.

I did find it quite appropriate that Dukey-boy & jerk were in the same sentence.

Anyway, the next time he drives into a main road without looking it might be a 40 tonner.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
Hope the price isn't too steep Zoony. I used to run a website drop shipping them and front pipes. Its possible to save a bomb over manufacturer prices so make sure you have a good look around.

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:38:24 PM »
Wouldn't really know where to look 41. The tester said it'd be unwise to buy a cheap one. I expect it to be around £200 for the part..

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »
If that's all it is no problem. Some can be a hell of a lot more than that. Or at least used to be. Just checked mine and it's about £150. I think they must be one thing where the price has fallen.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »
I'm okay with the price and the man fitting it, particularly as he's picking it up and dropping it off, but the flexible brake pipes are on the advisory and they may be more of a problem for him given the age of the car..
 I'm not used to my vehicles failing MOT so I don't normally use a garage at all but this fella is a well-equipped one-man-band and, more importantly, I liked him. :)

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:57:05 PM »
I'd have thought they would be pretty standard parts and an easy fix.

I vaguely recall doing a job with rigid brake pipes years back and busting something off but know I completed the job myself so that couldn't have been all that hard.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »
I'm okay with the price and the man fitting it, particularly as he's picking it up and dropping it off, but the flexible brake pipes are on the advisory and they may be more of a problem for him given the age of the car..
I'm not used to my vehicles failing MOT so I don't normally use a garage at all but this fella is a well-equipped one-man-band and, more importantly, I liked him. :)

Just enter your car reg & you can get virtually any spares.

https://bit.ly/2RQdBxx
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Thanks Diasi but I already tried them and it said they had no products. I thought that peculiar but...

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:14:09 PM »
Thanks Diasi but I already tried them and it said they had no products. I thought that peculiar but...

That's odd, I assume your car is a bit rare.