Author Topic: Old friends  (Read 3237 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Old friends
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »
We don't all communicate in the same way. Face to face discussion is one thing, but on line someone who expresses their views forcefully may be accused of bullying, especially if they are disagreeing, or trying to prove a point.  We have to make allowances.

Not many female members post in the serious bits. Although I've given up on the Brexit threads (yawn) I still post about social issues. Even though UP and I often (not always) disagreed, her opinion was as valid as everyone else's.  Facts can't be disputed, opinions are up for discussion.  If an argument goes on too long anyone can leave the thread! 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »
It did get to a stage that many threads were reported.. I often wondered whether my replies would still be on show the next day.. because of this.
A lot of disagreeable replies were classed as bullying...
 I very seldom get involved in politics. Manly because I don’t always understand what is going on .. From what I see and read I don’t think anyone really knows what is happening.. even the politicians.
 It doesn’t mean that we know it all just because we can write loads of (facts)  or opininons written by the newspaper we favour...
As GrannyMac has said.. If we don’t like the topic/argument we can always leave the thread.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
I really don't mind what is said to make an argument.  But I do draw the line at insults. 
The racist insult was the mildest of many of the things often said.  Simply being of a conservative outlook invited the most brutal of put-downs.  Before we rush to charity we should re-consider the mood generated on this site as a consequence of some of the things said.
I remember well Cheddar Caveman's departure, in particular, from this site, but there were many others too who were worn down by nothing less than insults.  It wasn't blunt direct argument that drove forum members away, it was insults.