Author Topic: a practical idea,  (Read 2198 times)

Alfred

a practical idea,
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »
It was interesting to read of a couple who sadly had to sleep in their car for nine weeks , had to use the facilities using a supermarket toilet for a wash and brush up,.

but luckily enough another council eventually re housed them , but lucky enough at least they had a car to sleep in to combat not only the weather but protection as well,

it seems many people in these circumstances have also found alternative sleeping arrangements as some sleep on buses others on trains, no doubt even a garden shed where possible ,

but its a worrying trend as we wonder what will be the final out come of these unfortunate people living in the 21st century is there a real answer, to this problem of homelessness,

GrannyMac

Re: a practical idea,
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:45:18 AM »
Surprised that the couple are described as grandparents, yet no support from their families. You would hope someone in their family would at least offer them somewhere to sleep.  The publicity may have helped them get what they wanted, council housing.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
No there is no solution, so long as people do not take the responsibility of housing themselves. So long as there are people who expect to be housed by a local authority, and for so long as they have a right to it, there will be people who are homeless. Today a person is homeless even if they have somewhere to live whhich is not classed as permanent, so for example, living in a hotel will count as homeless. Unfortunately we cannot build a city the size of Peterborough every year.

sparky

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
I suggest the biggest cause has been our ridicules open door policy to people from all corners of the world over the years, and if that sounds racist, tough, this is a tiny island with too many people.

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »

In my day many newly married couples would (lodge) with their parents/in-laws.
Children would come along hence more housing points for being offered housing. Of course we saved where we could in order to buy our own property.. but mortgages were not so  popular back then.
All of a sudden girls/women were having babies in order to get a council
property.. All scruples went out the window .. Young women/girls could be seen pushing prams with children hanging on to the handles.. Some were blond and some were dark (haired) but they were brothers and sisters.
 As for people sleeping in cars I think some will do anything to get housing..

The difference back in my day was couples were usually married..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

minniemouse

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
Part of the problem is the shortage of houses/flats.  The Council should take over premises that have been lying empty for donkeys years and that includes Churches which could be utilised.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
Petition 230416 Abolish foreign aid target and spend money at home.

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
Bring back a modern version of pre-fabs.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »
When Mrs.T and I got married, our parents made it clear that we had to stand on our own feet.  No lodging with parents.  Fortunately we were able to put a deposit on a small new-build semi and then set the wedding date.

Those were the days of 90% (max) mortgages based on 2.5 x main income + 1 x second income.

Too many people these days expect everything to be handed to them on a plate.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
No there is no solution, so long as people do not take the responsibility of housing themselves. So long as there are people who expect to be housed by a local authority, and for so long as they have a right to it, there will be people who are homeless. Today a person is homeless even if they have somewhere to live whhich is not classed as permanent, so for example, living in a hotel will count as homeless. Unfortunately we cannot build a city the size of Peterborough every year.

You certainly wouldn't want to replicate Peterborough ever, never mind once a year.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »
Our braindead  politicians and many other head in the clouds individuals ,  will say its simply that we are not building enough houses, schools, hospitals, but at what point do you say enough is enough.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
You certainly wouldn't want to replicate Peterborough ever, never mind once a year.

Well we agree on that, we just have to convince the political class now.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:32:53 PM »
I think there is an answer Alfred, just as there's an answer to most human ills, but we live in a society that only pretends to care for people and even then when it's politically expedient to do so, and uses the revenues it has in horrifically wasteful ways. We don't live in a society to be proud of.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »

Ireland (Southern) has a population of 4.8m (I think) and an excess of 40,000 houses put up with EU loans during their false boom.  They borrowed $80bn in order to prop up their banks and now have to pay half of their income to service the debt. Their economy is in the pits in spite of there bravura over Brexit.  Spanish housing is in a similar position where builders were able to borrow indefinitely from banks now loaded with bad debts.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

stellamaris

« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:52:41 PM »
I am not resentful of immigrants but neither am I a tiny bit grateful to them.  Xetog's post has put me in mind again of something I have often thought.  Why doesn't ROI try very, very hard to entice a big bulk of our immigrants to their country.   I know they have a lot compared to their indigenous population, but there is a large number available just a stone's throw across the water.  These people have had the nous to get here, and  are already used to the climate, language and general way of life in a country very similar to Britain.  The fashionable parlance is that these people bring great benefits to the host country and they have the space and the will [allegedly] to house them in much better conditions than here.   So why aren't they doing it? 
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart