Author Topic: tap water is it safe to drink,  (Read 419 times)

Alfred

tap water is it safe to drink,
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »
reading of the plastic menace where by many countries are affected,
even fish and other sea creatures are affected as we all read about in the papers, so if microscopic pieces of plastic are found in the sea , could our reservoirs also at some time in the future also have the same problem, at some future date,

many people i know boil up their tap water then once cooled will drink it ,

Q; do you have any thoughts on this subject,

Sheila

Re: tap water is it safe to drink,
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
I have a problem with a sort of non-contagious form of TB.  It is caused by a bacteria which is in water and soil so it is possible to catch it from a shower or hot tub.  After being on 3 different anti biotics (7 tablets every morning) for 17 months, I am much better and my next CT scan is tomorrow.  I should really have a bath every morning rather than a shower but don't like baths.  Also I have been a keen gardener all my life but should give that up. 

I go on a forum for this MAC lung disease and the Americans in particular are obsessed with boiling their drinking water for 10 minutes and sterilising everything in sight.  I have to try to compromise between being cautious and just getting on with enjoying life.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
I have a problem with a sort of non-contagious form of TB.  It is caused by a bacteria which is in water and soil so it is possible to catch it from a shower or hot tub.  After being on 3 different anti biotics (7 tablets every morning) for 17 months, I am much better and my next CT scan is tomorrow.  I should really have a bath every morning rather than a shower but don't like baths.  Also I have been a keen gardener all my life but should give that up. 

I go on a forum for this MAC lung disease and the Americans in particular are obsessed with boiling their drinking water for 10 minutes and sterilising everything in sight.  I have to try to compromise between being cautious and just getting on with enjoying life.

Showers can one of the worst things possible for anyone with a lung disease.

They're responsible for the majority of all instances of Legionnaires disease.

UK tap water is treated to kill any such bacteria but if in doubt then boil it for a couple of minutes.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »

UK tap water is treated to kill any such bacteria but if in doubt then boil it for a couple of minutes.

https://legionellacontrol.com/legionella/mycobacteria-in-water/

Unfortunately sprays used by dentists can be contaminated too.  UK tap water is not totally safe for people with lung problems.

Peat should be avoided too as well as compost/soil.

I soak the shower head in white vinegar regularly.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
It's a case of eliminating any risk that you feel applies to you.

I should have mentioned that with showers, there is virtually no risk with a combi-boiler as no hot water is stored.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
Regarding Legionella, there rule for storage of water is the 60 degree one. The bacteria cannot survive in water below 60F or above 60C.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »
In my case the problem is non tubercular mycobacterium which is in our water, regardless of combi boilers etc.  Research in America shows that it is in municipal water rather than well water and there is a suggestion that it is worse in water that has been chorinated.

It is not a problem for people with perfect lungs.