Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 1555 times)

Diasi

Re: Recycling
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »
"She is also the kind of muppet who leaves addressed junk mail, bank statements, etc in her bin without shredding them. I’m sure there is something creative I could do with those on some future occasion if I had a mind to…."

Sorry but how would you know what she puts in her bins?

I was just thinking that but I just put it down to her being a disabled 'chip-on the-shoulder' person who thinks that the world owes them the right to do as they please.

We recycle in accordance with how our council asks us to do it & the council will fetch the bins from the property & return them to the property for cripples.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2019, 11:09:07 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

minniemouse

« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
Our Council started charging extra for collecting garden waste £40 a year.  Is this the norm with other Councils?
I saw an ad for burial plots.  I thought to myself, "this is the last thing I need".

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
Our Council started charging extra for collecting garden waste £40 a year.  Is this the norm with other Councils?

Most of them charge or are going to do it.

Bee

« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:19:24 PM »
My council charges £75 the first year that includes a one off joining fee of £25 and £50 each year after.

The 240L brown wheeled bin will be emptied fortnightly, 25 times a year.
I abhor ignorance.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »
Wow...We have large green bins for garden waste emptied every week. No separate charge.
The only people who profit from prohibition are gangsters and undertakers..

biglouis

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019, 03:12:47 AM by biglouis »
He who laughs last never got the joke in the first place!

Bee

« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:44:03 AM »
Wow...We have large green bins for garden waste emptied every week. No separate charge.

I refuse to pay it zoony, I am lucky my son in law takes any garden waste to the tip for me, but I do feel sorry for those people that have no other choice but to pay, because they have either no transport of their own or no one to help them especially the elderly.

At the moment any domestic rubbish is left at the edge of the property in black bin bags and collected weekly, from next June we will be provided with green wheelie bins which will be emptied fortnightly.......but there will still be that charge for the brown wheelie bins used for garden waste.
I abhor ignorance.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:43:12 AM »
Up until last year our council, Perth and Kinross, collected garden waste fortnightly during the growing season, monthly 'out of season'. Last year they decided that was too much of a good thing so introduced a charge of £25 per bin, max of two (with half an acre of grass etc, I need two at the peak, although most of the year one is enough - so that was £50 of my hard-earned. This year it is £30 per bin - 20% increase!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »

Perhaps we could organise a  weekly forum members  trip to your place and put our green  stuff in your bin. ;D ;D ;D

Maddie Malone

« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
Reading this thread I have noticed that you put things in different coloured bins to what we have to do here .
Here we have to put
Black Bin = household rubbish collected weekly
Green Bin = Recycle rubbish collected fortnightly
Brown Bin = garden waste collected fortnightly
Glass we have to take to a bottle bank .

When we take things to the tip they are looked at by council staff and 3/4 of the time now we are charged a certain fee

Oh and if you shred anything up in a cross shredder they won’t take it ☹️
That gets put into a bag inside the black bin bag what they can’t see they can’t get uptight about 😀

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019, 09:39:08 AM by Maddie Malone »

sparky

« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »

When we take things to the tip they are looked at by council staff and 3/4 of the time now we are charged a certain fee

When you consider all the petty different things and charges some folk are subjected to, is it any wonder that so many less responsible types resort to fly tipping turning our country into a rubbish dump
……………………..………………………………………………………………………………………….
Luckily our tip will take most things and I have never be charged, I have not tried a body yet ;D ;D ;D

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
The reason fly tipping is on the increase is because of all these petty regulations and extra charges that the goons at the town hall dream up. Two years ago our local gestapo decided that if they decrease the size of the grey (ordinary household rubbish) bins everyone would have to recycle more. You are allowed as many recycling bins as you want and they are free. Replacement grey bins cost £25 each.

So people will just find innovating "solutions" for having smaller bins for household rubbish.

Most of my non recyclable comprises light but bulky plastic stuff like yogert cartons, food containers, polythene bags etc. My nephew takes away a couple of sacks on each visit and dumps it into the communal bins where he lives. So I rarely have to use my grey bin.

More recently one of my neighbours told me there were "inspectors" in our area going into peoples gardens looking in their bins to see what kinds of rubbish people were putting in the different colours. People who had put "incorrect" items into a bin were given warning notices or a stern talking to by these jobsworths. Her husband challenged them for coming onto his private property without his consent and they said they had the right under bla bla bla Act. But they left quickly when be began to photograph them and threatened to call the police.

I have a high fence around my garden and lockable gates which only get opened when Im expecting a delivery so you cant just walk up my garden path without permission. So I probably missed these gentlemen.
He who laughs last never got the joke in the first place!

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »
We never have any problems with our refuse collection system, which works very efficiently, or with the refuse collection teams because we put the correct waste in the correct bins.

sparky

« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
Diasi, As do we, all cartons are carefully broken down and folded to make small bundle , bottles and tins washed, its almost gift wrapped, but I supposed for us old codgers its something to while away the time. not so for those with hectic lifestyle.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
Forgot to say that we have to take glass to a bottle bank (but there are three within a 7 mile radius, two of them only two miles away.
Oh, and we have the stupid 'smaller bin means more recycling' idiots and there is noticeably more rubbish chucked onto verges than used to be the case.
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!