Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 9113 times)

biglouis

Re: Recycling
« Reply #60 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
Just seen a program about India and how the production of jute is still big business there for food sacks, etc. Being made from a natural product it is far more recyclable than plastic. When I was a kid many items like shopping bags etc were made from it so I can see this making a comeback.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #61 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
Just seen a program about India and how the production of jute is still big business there for food sacks, etc. Being made from a natural product it is far more recyclable than plastic. When I was a kid many items like shopping bags etc were made from it so I can see this making a comeback.

We've still got one somewhere.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #62 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
Jute sacks tend to rot and split. It's unlikely that our government will be encouraging the crop it is made from though.

biglouis

« Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »
Our so called government has made so many silly decisions nothing would surprise me about that bunch of muppets.

GrannyMac

« Reply #64 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »

It was big business in my home town of Dundee when I was growing up.  My father was a mill manager, my uncle lived and worked in India for years, in connection to the jute trade.  He'd bring my cousin and I glass bangles, but they broke easily. We had an Indian carpet for years that he sent to my mum.  The smell of jute for me is evocative of my childhood.  I believe the last mill in Dundee closed in the 1970s, apart from one which is a heritage site.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #65 on: Apr 10, 2019, 10:18:13 PM »
So I put out the brown bin today full of empty coke cans. I heard the bin waggon and a bit of banging about and went out to retrieve it.

The bin was still full and there was a pile of plastic bottles that someone had kindly placed on top of the cans. I thought if I dont remove these the bin men may refuse to take it. I was doing so when a young man came up and told me it was all right because he put them there. They then emptied my bin WITH the plastic bottles in among the cans.

So whats the point of my separating out all the tin cans if the bin people themselves are going to put other stuff in?

Of course if "I" had left them in then I would have found the bin not emptied and a sticker on it because it had the wrong things in it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #66 on: Apr 11, 2019, 06:34:47 AM »
Our council's - Perth & Kinross - recycling policy looks to tine cans - washed out - and plastic bottles (but not bottle tops, even if plastic  ??? ) going in the paper bin. Seems every council has its own deas
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #67 on: Apr 11, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
Whats the point of the council issuing these draconian policies of what you should and should not put in different coloured bins when their own staff violate those policies?

Diasi

« Reply #68 on: Apr 11, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
All our recycling goes in the one bin & it's sorted automatically by a combination of scanners.

I had a longish chat this morning, with one of our local authority recycling officers, about plastic recycling & the coding system.

It's the first time in my life I've heard a woman get excited when I mentioned Polyethylene Terephthalate so goodness knows what she'd have been like if I'd progressed our conversation to High-Density Polyethylene. :o ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #69 on: Apr 11, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
All our recycling goes in the one bin & it's sorted automatically by a combination of scanners.

I had a longish chat this morning, with one of our local authority recycling officers, about plastic recycling & the coding system.

It's the first time in my life I've heard a woman get excited when I mentioned Polyethylene Terephthalate so goodness knows what she'd have been like if I'd progressed our conversation to High-Density Polyethylene. :o ;D
;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #70 on: Apr 14, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
smooth talking swine
how did you know she was ?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”