Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 9118 times)

biglouis

Recycling
« on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »
 Does anyone resent all this pressure to recycle the rubbish as much as I do?
Two days ago I got my nephew to put out a brown bin full of coke cans, bottles etc  (its too heavy for me) and the idle bin men did not bother to come around. No doubt they are using the snow as an excuse. And yet FedEx managed to deliver me a parcel and the post woman managed to come on foot with letters. Are you kidding me they couldn’t get around with that huge bin wagon? Well all the bins are still there 2 days later and I am not going out in the cold to bring it in.

When it began (the recycling) the local council promised that Council Tax would be reduced. Well I am still waiting for my letter saying "Congratulations Dr L on your efforts and we are going to reduce your CT by £100 a year". Nor do I know of anyone else who has got one.

City Councils make huge sums by selling this recycled stuff to companies who then go on to make money by reselling it elsewhere. So where is all that money going? Into the pockets of some corrupt councillor I suspect. Or paying for their jollies and their little "fact finding" trips abroad when they travel business class and take their partner. Hmm.

As for all this recycling well that too is a scam. You take the time to divide it out into different bins and then they empty it all into ONE bin wagon. So what’s the point. The recycling companies employ people to sort out the rubbish. It’s the kind of job done by immigrants and people without qualifications. I did not do a doctorate to sort out rubbish. So I dump it in any bin where it will fit and then just put a layer of tin cans, paper etc on top so the bin men will take it.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Raven

Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:15:09 AM »
We use our bins for what they are meant to be used for, but I refuse to give the rubbish a wash dry and polish like they seem to want. If it's a tin it gets a quick rinse under the tap then into the bin. All the rest goes into the other one. I have bin liners in my kitchen bin so it's all wrapped up when it goes out. The garden one is always full as I have a large garden and greenhouse.

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:41:29 AM »
There's no money in it. Recycling needs subsidies.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/01/28/australia-doesnt-need-to-recycle/

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05:56:40 AM »
They are lost now they can't send it to China to be burnt.

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:14:49 AM »
Dr L i may be wrong but i think in the good old days the bin drivers were out all night manning snow ploughs and gritters
or did you think a group of drivers were employed as 'Snow-ploughers'...lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »
It used to be the case that the refuse drivers helped out with the grit. Today however they probablly work for a private company like Kiers. I have a feeling that the gritters are from the drain cleaning branch. Any recent public employee might be able to tell us. Of course it may well vary from one place to another or even be agency drivers these days.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »
I think our drain cleaning branch shut down a decade ago. At least that's the last time I saw one. A drain 100 yards from mine overflows every time there is much rain and that's on a main road.

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
Well I dont know whether our bin men are a private company or council. They are pretty uppity about not emptying bins that have the "wrong" rubbish in them. You just got to make sure that if you have incorrect rubbish in there its covered up with "correct" rubbish. I reported that none of the bins in our street were emptied this week and are still standing out there. Fresh snow fell last night but the Tesco man still managed to deliver my groceries

sparky

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:31:11 AM »
But our politicians with their own financial interests will tell you that out sourcing these sort of services is more efficient, " yeah my arse ", they want to make as much money as possible while providing the least possible service they can get away with.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2019, 01:08:16 PM »
andwe no longer have bin-men
they are recycling POLICE
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:56:00 AM »
You re too right! The corrupt jobsworths at the town hall think that by reducing the size of bins for domestic rubbish will "encourage" people to recycle more! In the meantime our wonderful council (unlike others much smaller) cannot recycle plastic waste which is the bulk of what fills peoples bins with all the food packaging. All this encourages is for more fly tipping of domestic waste in back alleys and waste ground so encouraging vermin. Next they will be introducing pay by weight charges so the people who produce the most rubbish will pay more in tax. This in turn will simply cause more fly tipping. They say "take your excess rubbish to the tip". Well not all of us are mobile or have cars.

sparky

« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »

For years, when I changed the oil in my deep fat fryer, I would leave the old oil by the side of the other bins in their 2.5 litre plastic bottles, the then suddenly decided they would no longer take it , telling me to take it to the tip   (nearest is 6 miles away) which in do use, but resented being told they would no longer take what is household waste in my eyes, so they still get to take it, but I now conceal it  under rubbish In the black bin,
All this, when our local water company are complaining of sewer problems caused by people putting far and oil down their drains, which I would not do.

Traveller

« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »
Our general rubbish and 'recyclable' rubbish goes into separate bins that are collected on alternate weeks.  Glass, cooking oil and garden waste is not collected.  There are plenty of bottle banks and we compost as much kitchen and garden waste as we can, but everything else has to go to the council 'tip' at our expense.

I believe that the garden and kitchen waste (in this area) go to a compost manufacturer,  but the council has to pay them to take away the waste from the tip.  The compost is sold in bulk to farmers and growers, so the company does OK from the deal.   
You'll have had your tea.

biglouis

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
 On the subject of bins here is a delightful little story …..
I have arthritis and live alone. I can’t manage the big heavy bins so my nephew puts them out for me when they are full. My neighbour has her husband put out 3 almost empty bins each week. One night (11 pm) I realised Id forgotten to ask nephew to put out the big recycling bin so I struggled with it myself and wrenched my back. I had a small bag with extra rubbish so I put it in my neighbours bin. Nothing wet or smelly and all neatly tied up. I was not going to bang on the woman’s door at 11pm and ask her permission. The bin was out on the kerb ready for collection with hardly anything in it.

As I was doing so a car drew up opposite and another neighbour saw me. He must have snitched because she left the bag on my drive next day with a rude note. She could not otherwise have known it was me as I shred all my addressed mail.

Subsequently I phoned the council to arrange for pickup of an old TV. While on the phone I asked if what I had done was illegal. The woman said I should not have done it but “we know everyone does it and its better than leaving the rubbish on the pavement.” However she told me what my neighbour had done WAS illegal and urged me to report her if I had evidence. She was on my CCTV so I sent the photographs to the council website and she got a very strong warning letter for "fly tipping". She was lucky not to get a fixed penalty charge.

When she came whinging to me about it I told her that if she had come to me in a polite and conciliatory way to say “please don’t put rubbish in my bin” I would have explained to her I was too disabled to manage them myself. It would not have occurred to me that anyone would be petty enough to object to an elderly disabled person putting a bit of rubbish in an almost empty bin. She is also the kind of muppet who leaves addressed junk mail, bank statements, etc in her bin without shredding them. I’m sure there is something creative I could do with those on some future occasion if I had a mind to….

As for the grasser opposite - he has 3 times put in planning permission applications for extensions to his house and 3 times been refused because of "objections".

Revenge can be a very sweet dish …

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »
"She is also the kind of muppet who leaves addressed junk mail, bank statements, etc in her bin without shredding them. I’m sure there is something creative I could do with those on some future occasion if I had a mind to…."

Sorry but how would you know what she puts in her bins?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.