Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 9112 times)

fortyone

Re: Recycling
« Reply #45 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
I adhere to my local recycling rules but I can't help being suspicious that it is all a massive waste of time and taxpayers money. I suspect most of it ends up in landfill or an incinerator these days and what doesn't gets stored in huge areas that periodically mysteriously catch fire.

Diasi

« Reply #46 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
"As with all regulations & laws, society depends on the vast majority of people abiding by them but you'll always get those who don't see why they should."

Its that kind of thinking that has always kept the toffs in power. Smacks of passivity or even weakness. If no one had ever said "no" we would still have children working in the mines and factories.

I've gone back over all your previous posts & the theme, throughout, is one of bitterness & beating the system, causing trouble for your neighbours, coupled with the 'entitlement to special treatment' attitude such as when you boasted about how you queue-jumped to get into the Newark showground.

I am probably passive & weak & me sticking to 20 MPH when I drive past a school will keep some toff in power.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Yellowbird

« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »
If only manufacturing firms would stop wrapping things up several times, anyway who needs a cabbage wrapped.our newspaper comes with a whole pile of extra paper adverts which go straight in the bin, its not the carrier bags that should be penalised its all the extra's around the goods we buy
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Diasi

« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
If only manufacturing firms would stop wrapping things up several times, anyway who needs a cabbage wrapped.our newspaper comes with a whole pile of extra paper adverts which go straight in the bin, its not the carrier bags that should be penalised its all the extra's around the goods we buy

We always used our carrier bags as waste bags but now we have to buy waste bags so the effect of our use of plastic bags on the environment hasn't been reduced at all.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:46:45 AM »
exactly Diasi, i use canvas bags for shopping but buy bin bags, but the bins get filled with plastic wrappers and polystyrene trays... we need to stop the knee jerk reactions and for once think things thru...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
Just as there are Holocaust deniers and climate change deniers, there are also recycling deniers.

I see the first as historic fact, the second as something that is happening but recycling as an unproven benefit.

Most of the plastic in the environment doesn't come from first world countries directly but I don't doubt that plenty does from the recycling flows we ship to the third world.

There is plenty of money to be made from climate change and recycling in the form of taxpayer subsidies to mitigate a problem that may not be fixable or even present.

crabbyob

« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
plastic bags are illegal in India they have replaced them with weird fleecy perhaps paper bags
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Sheila

« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »
I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the way carrots are washed and then packed into plastic bags so we have to check that the ends are not rotten before buying them.  It's good to see fresh carrots with the tops still on and just tied together.

Similarly potatoes often have a use by date of only a few days.  I used to buy a hessian sack of potatoes and store them in the garage.

Ashy

« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:48:42 PM »
I can remember my mother buying vegetables, they used to go straight in the shopping bag in those days.

fortyone

« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:25:38 PM »
Supermarkets pretty much heralded the death of mass market loose fruit and veg. They need barcoded bags that whip through the tills quickly. Sure there are still some loose items but they are in a tiny minority. We won't be going back to corner shops getting served by a bloke in a beige overall any time soon.

Sheila

« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »
One of my daughters goes to a food shop in Brighton which does not use any plastic.  Also, I was reading about a lady in Wirral who is opening a market stall, selling food but again, no plastic.

fortyone

« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
Those fearing climate change won't welcome this. Making paper produces more CO2 than making plastic. These places will be starting a civil war amongst the greens  ;)

Sheila

« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
I think they work on a 'bring your own container' basis.  Bamboo comes into it too. I think it could be something that will catch on and am staying open minded about it. 

My daughter, who swims in the sea at Brighton winter and summer is fervently opposed to plastic and is brainwashing me!

GrannyMac

« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
We always used our carrier bags as waste bags but now we have to buy waste bags so the effect of our use of plastic bags on the environment hasn't been reduced at all.

We are exactly the same. Carriers made perfect liners for our waste bin.

The answer is probably to go back to open fires. There was less packaging to start with, but lots of stuff got chucked on the fire back that would be binned nowadays.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
Think of the pollution. Burning plastics is hardly environmentally friendly.

I too bewail having to pay for what used to be free and try to find the cheapest bin liners that I can. So far to me it seems that ASDA smart price ones win out for me but it does depend on bin sizes and how clumsy you are with the things as that type are not the sturdiest.

I posted a link to a story recently where it was reckoned that plastic bags were very useful for stabilising landfill sites.