Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 1059 times)

biglouis

Re: Recycling
« Reply #60 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
Just seen a program about India and how the production of jute is still big business there for food sacks, etc. Being made from a natural product it is far more recyclable than plastic. When I was a kid many items like shopping bags etc were made from it so I can see this making a comeback.
He who laughs last never got the joke in the first place!

Diasi

« Reply #61 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
Just seen a program about India and how the production of jute is still big business there for food sacks, etc. Being made from a natural product it is far more recyclable than plastic. When I was a kid many items like shopping bags etc were made from it so I can see this making a comeback.

We've still got one somewhere.
If the Jews are God's chosen people, why did he give the oil to the Arabs?

fortyone

« Reply #62 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
Jute sacks tend to rot and split. It's unlikely that our government will be encouraging the crop it is made from though.

When democracy fails the people choose alternate means. These are rarely pretty.

biglouis

« Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »
Our so called government has made so many silly decisions nothing would surprise me about that bunch of muppets.
He who laughs last never got the joke in the first place!

GrannyMac

« Reply #64 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »

It was big business in my home town of Dundee when I was growing up.  My father was a mill manager, my uncle lived and worked in India for years, in connection to the jute trade.  He'd bring my cousin and I glass bangles, but they broke easily. We had an Indian carpet for years that he sent to my mum.  The smell of jute for me is evocative of my childhood.  I believe the last mill in Dundee closed in the 1970s, apart from one which is a heritage site.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop