Author Topic: Tim Martin  (Read 1492 times)

StephenM123

Tim Martin
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
Tim Martin, who heads up the Wetherspoons chain, is well known for his strong pro-Brexit. Yesterday we had lunch in one of his pubs (cheap but unremarkable). What struck me was as far as I could tell only one of his staff was British. Probably maximising his wealth with cheap foreign labour
 Doesn't add up to me!

crabbyob

Re: Tim Martin
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
is Tim english.... ;D
perhaps the folks he hires is local to him
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
What sort of cheap and cheerful places have many English working for them? If you run a business and want to continue doing so you need to be competitive so if others use cheap foreign labour then you have to as well. I see no conflict.

Protective EU external tariffs keep food and wine prices high. Once we have left we could in theory set lower tariffs and our imported food and wine would be cheaper so any extra labour costs wont necessarily mean prices go up.

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
Perhaps it depends on which part of the country you are ?   Few months back we had lunch in Wetherspoons in a small place on the Wirral and it was awful.  The place was dirty, food cr*p, yet a few weeks later a branch in Liverpool city centre was great.  OK perhaps the food was 'unremarkable' but it was fresh and the place was clean.   In both pubs the staff were Brits as far as I could tell !   ;D

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
There are parts of the country where most of the English have left.

mick607

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »
I've visited many Wetherspoon pubs up & down the country some fantastic & some not so fantastic. The best one being the Richard John Blackler in Liverpool, typical Wetherspoon fayre but a cracking pint & top service.I never really noticed til reading this thread that there are very few EU employees working for Wetherspoons. That's why they are such good pubs.
Many hotels employ cheap imported EU labour, what gets me is their poor English language skills & trying to communicate can sometimes be very difficult, any remaining EU citizens after Brexit should be required to learn & pass an English speaking test or leave.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:02:01 PM »
Most years we go to London for a few days, staying in the same large hotel.  The reception staff are not English, one was Australian, a couple were from Eastern Europe. They were pleasant, efficient and polite.

The last time I was in our local Wetherspoons the staff appeared to be all English, but they might have been Irish, Welsh, Scottish or Australian?  Without hearing them speak it was difficult to guess and I don't assume.  These large employers are bound by minimum wage regulations. Do we have unemployed young people with a great work ethic, well developed customer service skills and some flexibility clamouring for these jobs, or wouldn't the earnings be enough to entice some off benefits?
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:40:15 PM »
Depends on their level of entitlement.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

em

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:47:49 PM »
Zoony,please explain the stupid tree to me.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
You'd know it if you'd met it em. ;D  Just a way of saying that we all have something of a problem with something. For example, I can't spill very well.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
Do we have unemployed young people with a great work ethic, well developed customer service skills and some flexibility clamouring for these jobs, or wouldn't the earnings be enough to entice some off benefits?
I honestly fail to understand this attitude. 
I heard the very same thing this morning: "should we not be grateful to them, they are coming here to do the very jobs our own countrymen refuse to do", was how it was expressed.

So whose failure is it that we appear to have a large part of the populuation, that are either idle, attitude-wise unfit to hold down responsible employment, or innumerate or illiterate to be useful citizens.  Is it our own fault or someone else's.  Or for that matter who are we to think it OK for someone else to empty our rubbish bins whilst believing our own time better spent doing other things.

Whomever fault it is I'm neither inclined to sneer at those unfit for work, nor am I inclined to cheer and welcome those that some appear to welcome because it addresses, what I believe is a rather trivial requirement, shortage of labour for service level jobs.

Allowing immigrant labour to come here to take up these service jobs might well help Wetherspoons, Holiday Inn, East Anglian Farmers, but how the heck does it help our left-behind countrymen.  Allowing immigrant labour to come here, it occurs to me, actually makes it much harder for any moderately ambitious left-behinder to get a start at anything.

Perhaps, I'm missing something.

StephenM123

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
It is difficult for locals to get labouring jobs on East Anglian farms as it is very much controlled by gang masters who are taking a cut. Think back on Morecambe Bay!

em

« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:54:22 PM »
OK,Zoony.Bitter than most on here(hear?) Than queue.

mick607

« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
I'm going to Morecambe next Sunday !

em

« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »
And it was in February,2004 when the cocklers drowned. 23 of them,I think.So be careful,Mick.