Author Topic: Nissan to Manufacture X-Trail in Japan  (Read 906 times)

StephenM123

Nissan to Manufacture X-Trail in Japan
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
This is not good news. However, I do not feel that it is a direct result of Brexit but by the uncertainty caused by our MPs still having no clear plans after over two years of messing around!

BazzerPontefract

Re: Nissan to Manufacture X-Trail in Japan
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
I'm inclined to believe it will be a trend over the next ten years - the re-shoring of all kinds of manufacturing production.
If you are selling an international product like the X-trail and you only need one plant employing a mear 700 people why would you not site it in the pacific between the two biggest markets in the world USA and China.  As these modern manufacturing plants are highly automated there's little justification for out sourcing to cheap Labour rated areas like Sunderland or anywhere-else.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:43:15 PM »
I should imagine that Nissan make most of their products in Japan, being a Japanese company. Their small cars for the British market are made there, and it would be quite strange to build a niche market vehicle in a foreign country when they will be hoping to sell it all over the world.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »
This is not good news. However, I do not feel that it is a direct result of Brexit but by the uncertainty caused by our MPs still having no clear plans after over two years of messing around!

Nothing to do with Brexit apart from Brexit being a convenient excuse for Nissan to use.

The X-Trail would still be made in Japan even if we'd never had the 2016 referendum.

All the X-Trail engines are currently made in Japan & the X-Trail doesn't sell in high enough numbers to justify either shipping the engines to the UK or setting up a new engine plant at the Sunderland site.

Simple as that.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »
but looking on the bright side i'm sure we could put a good tariff on any goods that jump ship
or wont they be selling any here, i for one wont be buying any tainted goods
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »
On a brighter note but probably not reported by BBC (at least not with any prominence)

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/02/04/uk-enjoys-surge-car-manufacturing-millions-invested-new-factories/

digitalis

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »

I don't hear it so much theseadays,but not so long back I read articles and wotnot wherein countries took positive action when their big manufacturers were under threat by other countries manufacturers. France or Germany just said Non or Nein. Rules and regs and sophistry were set up so's that their big guns could not be bought by any outsider(s). It just couldn't happen. Water,rail,aerospace,engineering...wotever,just had to stay in German?French hands. I'm not too sure about Japan and others. I think the US still have some say-so on somesuch(anyways,their tech gizmo firms own or gobble-up most other techno start ups). We,on the other hand,said let-the-markets-work. Then everything was all sold off and we owned nothing. Stands to reason when governments and big biz believe in their own countries when any blowback happens you bring stuff back to your own country and peoples. We have non of that. And more recently we haven't got any of our own people. We are now completely globalized. Maybe we're just like an old prostitute whose finished. We've sold out.
As said,any German manufacturer who wants to make their workforce redundant has to pay/pay back the German government/employee big time for such-a-thing to go ahead. Here,P45 and a finger pointing down the road to the dole office. If I was HQ where would you choose to fire people?

BS,or some reason to it?

digitalis

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »

Slightly OT. I read we were the first country in the world to design/build create a nuclear power plant. Brains,manufacturing,know-how,design...all went into it. Then,over years,we seem to have to go overseas to get help to design,build,finance the industry. No offense Botswana but we're as advanced as you in this field now. Wot happened! Shouldn't it have been us dominating this field in our expertise and so on?

PS I don't like the industry,but I hope you get the argument.

Wotsgonwrong!

PPS I guess we have the greatest bank robbers in the world tho!

digitalis

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=67i1ifteo0l3egm6bvl5oasiv0&topic=13020.0

German rules.

French rules(at or about 1974). They opened their car industry to Japanese competition as in an agreed treaty. Cunning thing was they only had 10 French officers in charge of a mega-massive import of Japanese vehicles. As such,probably 3 Japanese vehicles were cleared by French customs to come into France each day. That's creative. You just don't get that creativity here.  :-[

Johned

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »
Does this projected Nissan vehicle not have a Diesel engine?  Thus one of the reasons why it will not now be made here because we now adjudge diesels to be environmentally unsound.