Author Topic: No outrage in Tonbridge Wells!  (Read 4081 times)

zoony

Re: No outrage in Tonbridge Wells!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:20:16 AM »
If my opinion came out muffled, let us consider as an example, a mythical football club that pays its players quite well. They recruit, say, an Argentinian player. Every time he plays for the club, he denies a local player a game. Follow this back through the food chain and you will find a young talented local player who will be overlooked.

It didn't come out as muffled Ashy, just inaccurate. Take your mythical football club for example. There are thousands of talented young players being trained in club academies and they do work their way through but if you're the manager of a modern Premiership club and you need a talented, proven, experienced striker/full-back/central defender/whatever, you normally go to the transfer market rather than a talented young academy player if only because modern team planning and tactics are risk-reduction exercises owing of the huge amounts of money involved.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:18:19 AM »
While its not right that some folk refuse jobs, Its often because of the crap wages of many jobs offered, for sometimes quite demanding work,  I have only been jobless for a couple of weeks over all my working life, But I would find it difficult to accept a job from a money grabbing  employer paying a pittance for my services, when I could be better off on benefits, as I have said in the past, the saying " you have to pay good money to attract the right people " only seems to apply to people at the top of the heap.

digitalis

« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:07:41 AM »

Interesting comment Sparky,and one I have to agree on.

Right now I don't see any end to the current draw England has to those seeking asylum,refugee status or monetary gain. Most countries have English as their second language. Our currency and working conditions are still better than some other countries. Our enforcement agencies are overwhelmed and our legal system is swamped with competing legal firms and contradictory laws that are best accessed when someone else pays: the native English folk,working or retired.

The increase in people makes the economy grow: there's more demand. This is spun as a positive by Westminster. The scramble for employment lowers wages.

Alas,the aesthetics of our country and towns and cities goes down. Some of its the pits. Its still going on by Granny Steps, just not hitting the front pages. Bad and sad. No regulation

GrannyMac

« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
While its not right that some folk refuse jobs, Its often because of the crap wages of many jobs offered, for sometimes quite demanding work,  I have only been jobless for a couple of weeks over all my working life, But I would find it difficult to accept a job from a money grabbing  employer paying a pittance for my services, when I could be better off on benefits, as I have said in the past, the saying " you have to pay good money to attract the right people " only seems to apply to people at the top of the heap.
My OH took all sorts of poorly paid work when things were tough. We had a family, it was our responsibility to look after them. It's that attitude that has become less prevalent in parts of our society.  I've always thought getting your foot in the door might open up possibilities, but never try never get.

This government has rightly cut some of the over the top benefits, mainly for expensive housing, but the impact of the new system has been a shambles. Some of the most disadvantaged have really suffered.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:13:31 AM »

We had a family, it was our responsibility to look after them.

GrannyMac, Totally agree, but if I found I could look after them better by being on benefits, rather than having the p**s taken out of me by someone wanting to get away with paying me a pittance, it would be a difficult choice for me, I have been luckier than many, in that my career choices over the years meant while never earning a fortune, I have never needed to accept crap wages. I find it a scandal that from what I read, so many  working people today are having to resort to food banks, because of scum employers.

Raven

« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »

Spot on. I've not been unemployed much either, once when I left as I hated my boss, and once when I was made redundant when the place was sold and closed. I'd take what ever I was offered just to tide me over, as it seems to be easier to get another job if your already employed. Mind you since I retired and moved up to Himself's Farm I work harder than I did when I was employed. :o AND, I am not paid either. ;D

minniemouse

« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
Women had to put up with crap wages for years.  Even now it's not really equal pay.  As for low paid employees, isn't that what tax credit is for, to make up the wages to a decent amount?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

sparky

« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »

As for low paid employees, isn't that what tax credit is for, to make up the wages to a decent amount?

Minniemouse, If these miserly scumbag employers can sit back knowing the taxpayer will subsidise the crap wages they pay their workers, nothing will change.

Ashy

« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
The government, probably over a few years now, has put itself (and the taxpayer) into this position where it is subsidising low pay. They have also put claimants in the position of having to give up their benefits in order to work, and the political class probably thinks it is doing a good job.

GrannyMac

« Reply #54 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
  As for low paid employees, isn't that what tax credit is for, to make up the wages to a decent amount?

Minniemouse, If these miserly scumbag employers can sit back knowing the taxpayer will subsidise the crap wages they pay their workers, nothing will change.

A single person, working full time (37 hours) on minimum wage earns around £15K.  And a couple, full time on min wage it's £30k.  Is that really crap for basic skills?  They'd not be entitled to means tested benefits of any sort.  Irregular and part time work is likely to be the issue, especially for those with children.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #55 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
A lot of minimum wage jobs don't offer that number of guaranteed hours though and even on minimum wage you still pay taxes. Just going to work costs you for travel and if that should be a car the cost isn't trivial. Those living out of towns will be worst hit.

sparky

« Reply #56 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
And very many of those jobs paying crap wages, while may  not require great skills, but  are nevertheless absolutely essencial  for our everyday needs.

Diasi

« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
And very many of those jobs paying crap wages, while may  not require great skills, but  are nevertheless absolutely essencial  for our everyday needs.

Not all low-skill jobs are poorly paid.

The requirements for being a train driver / tube train driver are very basic, but with extremely generous wages for being able to know what red green & amber mean, plus what I regard as basic every day abilities.

You'll need:concentration skills
  • to be thorough and pay attention to detail
  • patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
  • the ability to operate and control equipment
  • knowledge of public safety and security
  • observation and recording skills
  • the ability to work well with others
  • knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
  • being able to use a computer terminal or hand-held device may be beneficial for this job
  • In this role you could be:checking equipment and engines
  • contacting control centres for information about routes and any problems
  • following signalling instructions during the journey
  • making passenger announcements
  • controlling automatic doors
  • positioning and handing over engines to drivers on the next shift
  • recording incidents like equipment problems, dangers and delay.
  • Make every day count, each day is precious.
    "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »
    Diasi,  Most of our so called celebs,  on their £500,000s+  probably would have difficulty in mastering those basic everyday skills you describe, train drivers, nurses, teachers,  the carer that calls every day to wash and wipe the arse of my elderly neighbour etc, are worth ten of those overpaid prats.

digitalis

« Reply #59 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »

Shush Diasi. Don't let everyone know about it.

You talk as if you have insider knowledge.

There were other jobs around that reaped good wages and benefits. Alas,most now gone: privatized and dumbed down resulting in lower wages and worse services for those provided eg prison officers.

I see theyre dumbing down various aspects of dentistry theseadays. They could also start on the docs,tho they bring in foreign docs to fill the places where some docs choose to avoid: Stoke?

We should also rationalize MPs: bring in Eastern Europeans to do their jobs for one third of their salary. Then again,why not bring in Indian/Pakastani Generals who are just as good as our own. Do the job for one quarter of our mob.

I see the lorry drivers are complaining about Eastern European nationals taking over their runs for one third of their salaries and conditions. Itsa race to the bottom. I don't mind if its a level playing field. I'm sure I could recruit any one of any number of well qualified people from China who'd fulfill any criteria you set here. Its just a shame that most of the pressure is put on the lower end of society. Example: who would you rather have direct any legal application: British authority or someone brought in from abroad. For me I'd just go with the court system run by a foreign import. Cuts costs and makes British legal employees redundant. There's always opening for them at SportzDirect warehouses