Author Topic: No outrage in Tonbridge Wells!  (Read 4078 times)

GrannyMac

Re: No outrage in Tonbridge Wells!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »
I've had my nails done today. One of the ladies who works there is Vietnamese, and has been married to an English guy for a number of years.  She was married abroad, and came here, legitimately on a marriage visa.  She completed an English test, then applied through the correct channels, paying all the fees, for permanent residence which was granted. Then she successfully completed  the citizenship test, something she is very proud of, and that was around £1k.  More money for the UK.

She's just been turned down for a passport, due to a discrepancy with her name.  Its costing at least £2k to a solicitor to sort it.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »
Well I am sure I will be accused of  being petty minded, but I never use the services of immigrants unless there is absolutely no alternative, be it a local shop, stallholder or whatever, in  fact in the past I have had endless heated words with my sister and late father, that I describe as hypocrites, who despite both being strongly opposed to the immigrant invasion , my sister would use them to wash her car, and my father a small corner shop because their  stuff was cheaper, similarly, when shopping I check everything to select British produce  every time over Foreign stuff,

Raven

« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
I'm that way too Sparky, though I must admit there are very few immigrants way up here. The shops and business are run by Scots born here. We do have a wee Chinese Takeaway though and sometimes we use it. A while ago Tesco removed the blue Saltaire Flag off their Scottish Beef and replaced it with a Union Jack one, it caused ructions and they were forced to replace it as no one would by their meat from Tesco. The wee local butcher was hardly able to cope with all the extra work and had to take on some retired butcher part time for a while.

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
Well I am sure I will be accused of  being petty minded, but I never use the services of immigrants unless there is absolutely no alternative, be it a local shop, stallholder or whatever, in  fact in the past I have had endless heated words with my sister and late father, that I describe as hypocrites, who despite both being strongly opposed to the immigrant invasion , my sister would use them to wash her car, and my father a small corner shop because their  stuff was cheaper, similarly, when shopping I check everything to select British produce  every time over Foreign stuff,

Not 'petty-minded' Sparky, more closed and shuttered.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:28:27 PM »
(1) How do you know they're immigrants?
(1) What if it was a surgeon, do you think you'd be able to pick and choose due to race?  You'd soon get short shrift. 
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »
I think that since we are an island people, nobody should be surprised that many of us are insular. I found people who live on the smaller islands are even more insular. It's only human nature not to want our island full of foreigners.

Johned

« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:13:55 PM »
We have a number of East European ladies working in the supermarkets and shops locally; I find them invariably scrupulously polite and obliging and are quite charming; nothing is too much trouble for them when serving you.

sparky

« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »
Minnimouse. You will note I did say unless there were no alternative, as was the case a couple of years  back with my very unimpressive surgeon , and how did I know he was an immigrant, well the fact that he could barely speak a word of bloody  English was a bit of a  clue.

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
Every immigrant denies somebody of an opportunity and resources. It simply isn't fair to let so many in. They should all go home.

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »
Sorry Ashy but you're talkin' through yer titfer, mate..

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
zoony Far from Ashy talking through his titfer, anybody that suggests the minimal benefit to our country from the immigrant invasion is dwarfed by the devastating effect its had to our services, Housing, schools, health services, extra crime, the list is endless, is living in cloud cuckoo land,

Raven

« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:32:00 PM »
The saying "Too much of a good thing" has now become a reality, and it needs to be halted before we are strangers in our own land.  :'(

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
zoony Far from Ashy talking through his titfer, anybody that suggests the minimal benefit to our country from the immigrant invasion is dwarfed by the devastating effect its had to our services, Housing, schools, health services, extra crime, the list is endless, is living in cloud cuckoo land,

As far as I'm concerned Sparky, anybody who's opinion is "They should all go home" has some seriously flawed thinking going on.

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
Every immigrant denies somebody of an opportunity and resources. It simply isn't fair to let so many in. They should all go home.

Younger people all have had free health care, free schooling, a welfare safety net, and our first language is English.  We should be at the front of the race for jobs. I have similar experiences to Johned. The cashier in Lidl today was European, as was the barista when I had coffee the other day.  Their customer service was first rate, and their spoken English at least as understandable as some of the locals! 

I believe that immigration should be managed, but 'all go home', no way.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
As far as I'm concerned Sparky, anybody who's opinion is "They should all go home" has some seriously flawed thinking going on.
I don't think they should all go home but I certainly think that vastly too many were allowed in. I don't blame the individuals and hope if roles were reversed I'd have the balls to move maybe 1,000 miles to a country where my command of the language and customs was rudimentary in pursuit of a better life.