Author Topic: No outrage in Tonbridge Wells!  (Read 4083 times)

Diasi

Re: No outrage in Tonbridge Wells!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
I've had my nails done today. One of the ladies who works there is Vietnamese, and has been married to an English guy for a number of years.  She was married abroad, and came here, legitimately on a marriage visa.  She completed an English test, then applied through the correct channels, paying all the fees, for permanent residence which was granted. Then she successfully completed  the citizenship test, something she is very proud of, and that was around £1k.  More money for the UK.

She's just been turned down for a passport, due to a discrepancy with her name.  Its costing at least £2k to a solicitor to sort it.

I don't think that a nail bar assistant scores very highly on the Australian immigration points system.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:52:30 AM »
I don't think that a nail bar assistant scores very highly on the Australian immigration points system.

It was an example of a marriage visa not a work visa. I was just pointing out that non EU nationals, who have come to the UK via legitimate entry and who wish to stay pay a lot of money for the privilege. After Brexit, I'd imagine that the same rules will apply to EU nationals.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
There was an initial fee of £65 for a permanent residency certificate application but the government scrapped that last week. Amounts and date from memory.

We still don't know a cutoff date for free entry. It could easily turn out that there isn't one if we end up with the Labour plan.

Ashy

« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »
Anyway it's Royal Tunbridge Wells, not Tonbridge.

GrannyMac

« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
There was an initial fee of £65 for a permanent residency certificate application but the government scrapped that last week. Amounts and date from memory.

We still don't know a cutoff date for free entry. It could easily turn out that there isn't one if we end up with the Labour plan.

That of course is only for EU nationals.  ;)   Its much more expensive for a non EU national.  And thats after they've paid for all the other visas.  The list of charges is extensive. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/visa-regulations-revised-table/8-october-2018#points-based-system---applications-made-outside-the-uk

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
I was replying to the last sentence in your post.

After Brexit, I'd imagine that the same rules will apply to EU nationals.

We don't know for sure if we are going to get a "proper"  Brexit and it could well be that EU nationals will still enter freely and presumably wont even need to apply as they will have it as a right.

Ashy

« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
The government has a web site for foreigners to see what they have to do after we leave the eu. The best bit is it's in English.

GrannyMac

« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
I was replying to the last sentence in your post.

After Brexit, I'd imagine that the same rules will apply to EU nationals.

We don't know for sure if we are going to get a "proper"  Brexit and it could well be that EU nationals will still enter freely and presumably wont even need to apply as they will have it as a right.

Sorry didn't connect! And I thought the £65/free offer was for those already here. I hope the free movement is restricted.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
I think we are at cross purposes. I wasn't disagreeing just pointing out that it will cost EU nationals already here nothing to apply for right of residence but that it is by no means certain that free movement will end if we do not get a clean Brexit.

Free movement is a Single Market issue. May's deal if the backstop is activated is a Customs Union for mainland GB and both Customs Union and Single Market for NI. Corbyn seems to be suggesting both CU and SM which certainly gets around the backstop as we won't actually have left - we'll just be giving up our voting rights.

If we get a clean Brexit then presumably Free Movement would end (but still may not as HMG want to appease big business with cheap labour) and in that event EU Nationals would indeed presumably have the same process to follow as the rest of the world.

Ashy

« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
Sorry Ashy but you're talkin' through yer titfer, mate..
If my opinion came out muffled, let us consider as an example, a mythical football club that pays its players quite well. They recruit, say, an Argentinian player. Every time he plays for the club, he denies a local player a game. Follow this back through the food chain and you will find a young talented local player who will be overlooked.

Scrumpy

« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
I don’t quite get it..  Are you saying that because of so many (foreign) people coming here they are taking work away from us Brits.?
 Does that mean that there is a queue of British people waiting in the wings to grab these ,sometimes menial, jobs that these foreign people do..?
  I don’t think so.. Most are too bloody lazy.. and on Benefits.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:09:49 PM »
I was under the impression that you had to look for work, attend interviews and take the job if offered, or you lost your benefits. I didn't think you could pick and choose these days. Why are Brits refusing the jobs? and still getting unemployment money? Why are the jobs full of foreign workers and not our own people?  ???

Ashy

« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:12:45 PM »
The presence of foreigners increases the requirement for work, or inflates the economy if you will. Benefits should not be a life style choice. It is permitted because the government and industry are addicted to "Growth", it is their god, and our way of life and prosperity are sacrificed to it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:41:57 PM »
I meet people regularly who have been on benefits for years.  Some come to the charity shop where I volunteer. The shock horror when the youngest child reaches the age when resident parent, usually mum, has to start job searching!

I mentioned some retail jobs that were advertised locally to one who is currently on placement at our shop. She wasnt interested.  The extra money isn't enough to entice her to make the effort.  She has no awareness of the idea that she might provide a good role model for her kids.

A guy in his thirties, big strong lad, hasn't worked since the factory he was at closed down. Says there are no jobs. There are. He is scraping by as a single man living alone.  He should be chasing every opportunity. Sad really.

R. Gervais

minniemouse

« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:34:48 PM »
I was under the impression that you had to look for work, attend interviews and take the job if offered, or you lost your benefits. I didn't think you could pick and choose these days. Why are Brits refusing the jobs? and still getting unemployment money? Why are the jobs full of foreign workers and not our own people?  ???
People work the system.  They duly go for interviews but make sure that they come across as unsuitable for the job and fail the interview.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.