Author Topic: Cigarettes.  (Read 1806 times)

brian54

Cigarettes.
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »

I have had a complaint from a smoker that cigarettes are going up by 50p in the next budget.
Surely £50 would be better.
Andy and Peter have just winked and I think they want £500.

Raven

Re: Cigarettes.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:10:48 PM »
I'm glad I stopped smoking while they were still around the £3 for 20 mark.  8)

brian54

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:47:34 PM »
I stopped smoking when cigarettes went over £0.00.

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »
I would expect nothing less from such a model citizen who has consistently made the correct life choices and never ceases to tell us all about them with tedious regularity.

biglouis

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:06:01 AM »
Im glad I never started.

I was the only one of my female friends who never smoked as a young woman. Back in the 1960s it was considered "sophisticated" and gave you something to do with your hands. At least that was the excuse.
We would meet in a bar prior to going out clubbing. Everyone (except me) would sit with a glass of martini in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

I once smoked a cigarette at a girls night out (I was a bit drunk). I had no idea how to inhale until someone gave me instructions. I ran to the loo and threw up.

I told my friends that was a horrible sensation. They told me I had to "practice".

It put me off for life and I was very glad of that.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

brian54

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:10:00 AM »
Im glad I never started.

I was the only one of my female friends who never smoked as a young woman. Back in the 1960s it was considered "sophisticated" and gave you something to do with your hands. At least that was the excuse.
We would meet in a bar prior to going out clubbing. Everyone (except me) would sit with a glass of martini in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

I once smoked a cigarette at a girls night out (I was a bit drunk). I had no idea how to inhale until someone gave me instructions. I ran to the loo and threw up.

I told my friends that was a horrible sensation. They told me I had to "practice".

It put me off for life and I was very glad of that.

I can  remember my great grandparents on both sides of the family saying all the soot from cigarettes could not be doing any good to smokers and they did not smoke. Even though their reasons may be slightly incorrect they took the correct decision not to smoke,
Oddly for various reasons none of my family could go in the forces which promoted a lot of the smoking mainly because of out of shape feet but most lived in to their late 80s / 90s.
Strangely I spoke to an RAF man a few years ago and he said nobody in his section smoked.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:26:50 AM »

I can  remember my great grandparents on both sides of the family saying all the soot from cigarettes could not be doing any good to smokers and they did not smoke. Even though their reasons may be slightly incorrect they took the correct decision not to smoke,
Oddly for various reasons none of my family could go in the forces which promoted a lot of the smoking mainly because of out of shape feet but most lived in to their late 80s / 90s.
Strangely I spoke to an RAF man a few years ago and he said nobody in his section smoked.
Most unusual, unless fairly recent. In my time in the RAF (1956-58) of the many men with whom I came into contact, I can only recall one who didn't smoke - I can even remember his name and what he looked like - Bassett, about 5'6", thin as a rake and with huge horn-rimmed specs.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
Most unusual, unless fairly recent. In my time in the RAF (1956-58) of the many men with whom I came into contact, I can only recall one who didn't smoke - I can even remember his name and what he looked like - Bassett, about 5'6", thin as a rake and with huge horn-rimmed specs.
Mike

The man I am talking about was in the RAF about 10 years ago so things may have changed.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
Could be - my generation knew no better
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:08:16 AM »
In our RAF billet, most blokes smoked, in fact, Paddy Kelly in the bed opposite me, would never get out of bed in the morning until he had his first cigarette,

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »

Back in the late fifties it was the thing to do.. When we met up as groups the first things out of our mouths was  'Anyone got a fag'?
We smoked on the bus ,in the cinema , waiting rooms and even on the hospital wards.
We smoked before sex, after sex and if you were an expert you could light up during sex..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
Peter says he agrees with everything Andy says.

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
I was tackling a difficult problem at work and lit up. When I put the fag in the ashtray there was one already in it.

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »
What Sherlock Holmes called a "Three Pipe Problem".

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
I was tackling a difficult problem at work and lit up. When I put the fag in the ashtray there was one already in it.

Ha ha.  Unlike some of my colleagues, I never quite got the hang of eating with a fag in my mouth.  Nearly 25 years since I stopped, but I can still remember the enjoyment of lighting up.  Not enough to entice me to light up again though.  :)   And I'm not even going to comment on Scrumpy's post.   ;D
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais