Author Topic: Your account has been hacked - email scam  (Read 1404 times)

fortyone

Re: Your account has been hacked - email scam
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »
The thing I find annoying is that so many of these organisation put links in their emails. If they stopped doing so that would make the scammers links unusual and less likely to fool the unsuspecting.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »
Had an interesting experience four or five years ago. Telephone calls claiming to be from my bank, but sounding more likes a Dalek than a human being. After this had been  going on for several days, I phoned my bank to let them know what was going on. Turned out the bloody calls were GENUINE - and because I had just hung up on them they had blocked my credit card!! Thankfully, I hardly even use that particular card, so it wasn't a problem, but when I pointed out that it would be helpful if the calls didn't sound so 'spam', they couldn't come up with a solution - so I told them under no circumstances to phone me again, but to write or E-mail
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
Because I do a lot of international transactions I often get texts from the bank on my poor old "dumb" phone asking me to text back if the transaction was genuine. The phone isnt text enabled so I always ring them back on another phone using another number than the one provided in the text because this too is a well known scam.
I dont own a smart phone - they are the devils invention.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.