Author Topic: councils & shops,  (Read 2003 times)

Alfred

councils & shops,
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
Unless its me i often think that although Brexit is easy to blame for the closure of so many high street shops in so many cities , but why doesn't these councils offer a really good low discount making it worth while for people to rent or even buy a premises,.

as it is many small businesses are going on line, instead,  selling their products on the internet, as its cheaper for many of them to sell on line rather than  renting or paying to have a shop which it seems  is very costly and there we are seeing more and more shops closing until very few high street shops are to be found,

Q; what are your thoughts regarding so many shops disappearing off our high streets, and what if anything can be done to rectify this alarming problem,

Raven

Re: councils & shops,
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
Yes the huge rents and rates are not helping at all. But the Councils and Landlords all suffer from that age old problem called "Greed"

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
Plus, in many cases doing their level best to discourage motorists
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bobcat

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »
I don't think its got much to do with rent etc. its to do with the change of shopping habits. I remember as a lad having to go with my mum to the local shops where we would trudge from the butchers and queue to buy meat, the green grocers and queue to buy vegetables, the grocery shop and queue to buy tins if stuff etc., etc. Then the long trudge home (it always seemed to be raining) with me moaning and complaining as my arms were getting longer and longer under the weight of all the shopping !!! Now I go to the supermarket and get everything in one place and my children don't even do that, they have everything delivered. We will never go back. The towns need someone to invest and develop them into leisure and interest facilities.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
I reckon that is mostly accurate. I pop into the little Co-op a couple of miles away most days for milk, bread, that sort of thing, but mostly my 'big' groceries come from on-line - SO much more convenient
Mike

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »
Bobcat, I certainly remember those days, and they haven't totally vanished for us.
This area is fairly mixed with small independent shops and supermarkets and our shopping is done at a mix of these two.  At least, finding free parking is rarely a problem.

What I have noticed is the type of high street shop that has opened up.  Plenty of cafes and tea shops, nail bars, hairdressers - even some clothes repair and alteration shops. The one thing you don't see here  are greengrocers.  We grow what we can of our own, the rest comes from the supermarket.
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
Haven't seen a 'proper' greengrocer's in years. There was one 2 miles down the road when we first moved here in 2003, but he closed down years ago
Mike

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:51:49 AM »
Not only are we seeing much more of our weekly shopping delivered, the way its delivered is changing, I was amazed to see a system in Milton Keynes on TV with little remotely controlled 4 wheel enclosed trolleys trundling along  the pavements delivering goods to various houses,  A bit different from my job  when evacuated to Southport, in WW2, with my bike and a basket on the front, like Granville's in Open all Hours.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
Bloody Hell! Are you sure it wasn't one of Brian's illusions?
Mike  ;D ;D

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »
I think that explains why so many town centre shops are nail bars and hairdressers. Things you can't have delivered. Also it would help if councils were not so anti-car. I think many councillors see it as their vocation to make life as difficult as possible.

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »
It's not going to stop....

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
I think the graph is informative but would probably not be equal across every sector of retail. I suspect shoes and clothes would be at the lower end, because people like to try them on when they buy, whereas TV sets and computers are probably much higher, as they can be bought by their description, and of course groceries will be too.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
We do have a greengrocer, three butchers, several bakers, and a couple of newsagents. Recently an electrical shop opened, and another tattoo parlour! The usual others are there too, cafes, hair and nail salons, a Post office and a few banks. Its quite a busy area, lots of buses and the tram passes through.

Its an ideal area if we have to stop driving at anything time.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
Maybe but plenty order clothes on line and send them back if they don't like them. Returns are free but obviously the volume of them must push prices up a tad if not so much as bricks and mortar overheads.

On electricals apart from smaller outlets your only option to view before buying is Currys anyway.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
The one thing I don't buy on line is fruit and vegetables - our little Co-op isn't too brilliant for them, but I do like to see exactly what I am getting
Mike