Author Topic: councils & shops,  (Read 2005 times)

fortyone

Re: councils & shops,
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »
My wife sniffs most fruit and veg befote buying as well as giving it a better feeling over than I ever get.. :)

em

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:23:14 PM »
Hope you pass the sniff test,fortyone.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
We do have a greengrocer, three butchers, several bakers, and a couple of newsagents. Recently an electrical shop opened, and another tattoo parlour! The usual others are there too, cafes, hair and nail salons, a Post office and a few banks. Its quite a busy area, lots of buses and the tram passes through.

Its an ideal area if we have to stop driving at anything time.

The little town where I like to shop had 3 banks 2 yrs ago. Now? 0.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
Ive been buying my weekly shop online since Tesco began delivering 20 years ago. There are no shops in this area and as a non driver it was a pain having to lug heavy shopping home from work. I can remember all those little "yappy"  shops as a kid - we always seemed to get stuck behind someone telling their life story to the assistant.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Bobcat

« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »
A bit different from my job  when evacuated to Southport, in WW2, with my bike and a basket on the front, like Granville's in Open all Hours.

Well there a coincidence, I live just outside Southport - you wouldn't recognise it today !!

sparky

« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
Bobcat, I went back there some years after, and I could barely remember any of it,  I only went there in the first place fore what seemed a bit of an adventure, but got homesick and came back to London just as the V1 flying bombs, and V2 Rockets started,

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »
My Tesco man is coming tomorrow sometime between 8 and 9am. I wish he would put the stuff away for me. Its a boring job which I hate.

minniemouse

« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
It's a hard life  ;D
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Alex22

« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
I hate putting it all into the trolley, then out of the trolley at the checkout, then back into the trolley, then out again at the shelf area and into shopping bags, then out of the trolley into the boot, then out of the boot into the kitchen, then it sits on the table until I've had a cuppa - apart from frozen items.   Phew  ;D It's not easy is it ?   

little bob

« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:04:55 AM »
Well there a coincidence, I live just outside Southport - you wouldn't recognise it today !!

I live not too far from Southport we go there every two weeks just for a ride out,each time we go another shop has closed --in fact Lord Street is a disgrace --each time a shop closes in my town
another shabby bar opens.

biglouis

« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:35:56 PM »
I put the shopping away in stages. Sometimes it takes several hours. Not because I have a lot of it but because its such a boring non creative chore.

Raven

« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
I come in, dump the shopping in the kitchen, bung the kettle on and put the shopping away. Done and dusted in 5 minutes, and just have to make my coffee then sit down to relax and drink it.
Besides, I have a massive dog to likes to root and rummage in my shopping bags, best to get it out of himself's way.  ;D