Author Topic: New forum layout  (Read 2330 times)

fortyone

New forum layout
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:31:28 AM »
I'm seeing a new forum layout using chrome on Android. Anybody else? If so what opinion do you have of it?

Michael Rolls

Re: New forum layout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
Doesn't look any different to me, 41, but observation never was my strong point. What difference are you seeing?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »
It looks the same for me too Forty, did you ever get back the unread posts facility  ?

em

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »
Yes,fortyone.From about midnight,on amazon Fire.It kept reverting to the beginning of a thread rather than the most recent post.The print looked bigger,too.I assumed it would correct itself,but have not used it today.Now using laptop.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
The avatar and unread posts link under it are still missing. I can see the unread posts link in the grey/blue header bar that Ashy mentioned. I'm not sure if it was present before as I always used the one under my avatar at the top of the page.

The current change seems to be a minor one to either something in the css or possibly a browser update. Previously the section giving poster info appeared to the left of the post text. Now on my tablet it appears above it. I can recreate the effect on my desktop by reducing the browser window width. If I turn the tablet round to a landscape view then the user section reverts to being shown on the left. I'll see what the edge browser does.

Edge is the same as chrome so it's the forum css that has changed.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
I often find views are different on my tablet to my desk computer, on several sites. I prefer to use my desk computer whenever possible, but in this case I have no difference in the view and find it as it always has been.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:03:38 PM »
I'll do some screenshots showing the missing avatar and link at the top and the two different layouts.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
This is the main forum entry page with me logged in. It used to have an avatar and some links on the left. They have gone. There is an unread posts link over on the right.

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
This is the view I now get in portrait mode on my tablet

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
And here is the view if I rotate the tablet to landscape. This is how it always appeared to me previously.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »
This is the main forum entry page with me logged in. It used to have an avatar and some links on the left. They have gone. There is an unread posts link over on the right.
I never get those three tabs above the heading box, whether on PC or tablet
Mike

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:46:55 PM »
This is what I see when I come to the Site, I don't log out, maybe that makes a difference. ???

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
I let my login expire rather than tick the stay logged in button. No real reason why. The avatar and  links were always there until I posted to ask if others had lost them. I see you have no unread posts link over on the right.

I think all you are seeing, Mike, are my browser tabs. If I use my phone browser I don't see tabs and have to faff about to switch between open sites.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »
Ah! My screen looks just like Raven's
Mike

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:42:25 PM »
That's how mine used to look and I can't figure out why it changed. Looking at the page source it still contains the elements that make up the avatar and links but the div (section of the page) they are in is defined non-display.

The side by side or one atop the other sections that make up the posts is quite standard behaviour for html as screen width changes but something seems to have changed forcing my tablet screen size to be treated differently now from how it was in the past.

A bit annoying as I prefer the earlier layouts but can't do much about it. I may try the "desktop view" option on my tablet to see what changes but it wont be the avatar and links as they have gone on everything I've used.