Author Topic: New TV Channel  (Read 3640 times)

Alex22

New TV Channel
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »
There's a new TV channel called the Smithsonian http://www.smithsonianchannel.co.uk/   it's Ch 99 on Freeview.   I've tried re-tuning my telly but it's not showing up and  just says Invalid Channel.   Any ideas what else I can do ?

Ashy

Re: New TV Channel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »
Some FV channels are transmitted in high definition and for them you need a HD tuner. Just a possibility; some channels are area specific too.

Now I have tried ch 99 and I get Travelxp Channel, which is moving to another channel (93) on 18th February 2019.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »
I read about it the other day but it's not listed in my guide. Nothing on my Ch 99..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
I'm showing no channel on Youview and freeview

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
I see it is listed as Freesat 175 and that works ok. I'd suggest you retune again and then it may well show up on your Freeview.

With digital TV the channel number means nothing unless the TV has been tuned in since the channel went live then it can associate the number with just what offset on what mux it can find the data stream.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
I retuned just the other day, but not because of this new channel. This is the first I've heard of it. I'd lost my Country n Western Music Channel and retuned to get it back, but I don't know if I brought this new on in with it, will check later tonight.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:31:28 PM »
I've got it on YouView channel 99 & on an HD Freeview TV channel 99 but not on SD Freeview TV, nor have I got it on Freesat yet so I'll have to have a play with the box which wasn't originally a Freesat box.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
Diasi, That's Weird . just tried both those again and still  showing invalid channel, must be down to the transmitter you get your signal from, mine is from Oxford,

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
Diasi, That's Weird . just tried both those again and still  showing invalid channel, must be down to the transmitter you get your signal from, mine is from Oxford,

Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

According to Smithsonian, the channel is only transmitted in SD at present so I did another retune last night & it now shows on our SD Freeview tuner TVs as well as our HD Freeview tuner TV.

I've found it on both our satellite receivers but it's on channel 195, not 175.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »
Must be something strange with the satellite box you have Daisi. Mines a bog standard Humax freesat one and it's on the advertised 175.  I see it's HD maybe that's why others don't get it if their TV tuners are SD only

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
finally found it, using Freesat AV option on my TV, Channel 175,

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Must be something strange with the satellite box you have Daisi. Mines a bog standard Humax freesat one and it's on the advertised 175.  I see it's HD maybe that's why others don't get it if their TV tuners are SD only

Our boxes weren't bought as Freesat receivers & they're running on OpenATV 6.2 with all the 'FTA only' channels selected & the TV guide provided by CrossEPG.

It's supposed to emulate Freesat but the fact we get every FTA channel, including channels from other providers, would explain the channel numbering difference.

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »
I tried retuning again as Forty suggested, but it's not showing.  My telly has Freeview built in, is that why I can't get it ?

fortyone

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
Well Daisi said it was SD but on my Freesat is seems to be HD only. Does your TV get Freeview HD - can you get BBC on 101 for instance or only on 1

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
Well Daisi said it was SD but on my Freesat is seems to be HD only. Does your TV get Freeview HD - can you get BBC on 101 for instance or only on 1

Smithsonian say it's only on SD on Freeview & we've got it on a couple of non-HD tuner TVs.