Author Topic: British ISIS fighter soon to return to GB  (Read 34742 times)

Diasi

Re: British ISIS fighter soon to return to GB
« Reply #330 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
On another thread I mentioned her father lives in Bangladesh with his second wife.  Perhaps its his turn to give her a home.

That's why there'll never be integration, the two cultures are millennia apart.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #331 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:29:34 AM »
Exactly.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #332 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
That's why there'll never be integration, the two cultures are millennia apart.
I don't agree.  I think there is a tranche in "our" culture (not always sure it's mine when I read this forum) of people who want to live in a small "c" conservative past that never really existed and there is a tranche in all cultures that has will have that view.  Often there is very little difference between them.  The tend to be both misogynist and patriarchal.  An alien from outer space would hardly be able to tell them apart.  I imagine they are about the same percentage of any culture; they are certainly do not comprise all of any one group.

Equally, there is a much larger tranche - in all cultures - who want to move forward, be well educated, have good jobs, see all people as they see themselves and just get on with life without feeling they can inflict old and worn out mores on others.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

crabbyob

« Reply #333 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:27:37 PM »
how on earth can the Scots, Irish or Welch cease to be British, that has to be your stupidest argument yet... they might in theory cease to be members of the United Kingdom,but will always be British.... now ask the lady in questions parents and they will tell you they are, Bangladeshi...end of argument... while the lady in question is without a doubt a bigger traitor than Lord Haw-Haw
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Raven

« Reply #334 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »
Crabby, I have never thought of myself as British....Never. I am Scottish and a Highlander to the bone. If I have to fill in any forms I will put my origin in Other and then put Scottish..

mick607

« Reply #335 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
Crabby, I have never thought of myself as British....Never. I am Scottish and a Highlander to the bone. If I have to fill in any forms I will put my origin in Other and then put Scottish..
Still British though.

fortyone

« Reply #336 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
A brave man posts  ;D ;D ;D

Ashy

« Reply #337 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:14:28 PM »
Well anyone who is Scottish by birth will be seen by everyone else as British, even if they don't think of it themselves. I am English by birth and have a company pension.

mick607

« Reply #338 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »
Me too as well.!

GrannyMac

« Reply #339 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »

I agree with 41.

My ethnicity is mostly Scottish, although DNA has shown its not as much as I thought! I consider my background to be Scottish because of where I grew up, my accent etc. 

However, my nationality is British.  I hold a British passport,  not a Scottish or English one, British.  My husbands siblings have Scottish accents, two were born there,  but they all have the same parents. Their parents were English.  His nieces and nephews think of themselves as Scottish yet there are no Scots in their ancestry.

I'd love nationalists from wherever to have a DNA test. They might be surprised.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Raven

« Reply #340 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:01:36 PM »
You can all argue the rights and wrongs of my post all you want, but it still does not, nor will it ever, change the way I think. As far the law may be concerned they will say british, but I will argue with any official who challanges me. I am Scottish like it or not.

Flounce.... Slam. 

Ashy

« Reply #341 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
I support Raven in her post. If I am ever asked which country I come from it is England. Not "the UK" - I can't abide that nomenclature. Worse than "British".

Raven

« Reply #342 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »
I agree with 41.

My ethnicity is mostly Scottish, although DNA has shown its not as much as I thought! I consider my background to be Scottish because of where I grew up, my accent etc. 

However, my nationality is British.  I hold a British passport,  not a Scottish or English one, British.  My husbands siblings have Scottish accents, two were born there,  but they all have the same parents. Their parents were English.  His nieces and nephews think of themselves as Scottish yet there are no Scots in their ancestry.

I'd love nationalists from wherever to have a DNA test. They might be surprised.

I can trace my dad's side to the Hebridian Isles back 500 years and my mother's side also back 500 years in Perthshire. All Scots, if there is anything else in my blood it's way back. Actually I'd quite like to know the answer, but 500 years of Scots blood makes me Scottish in my mind.  :)

mick607

« Reply #343 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »
You can all argue the rights and wrongs of my post all you want, but it still does not, nor will it ever, change the way I think. As far the law may be concerned they will say british, but I will argue with any official who challanges me. I am Scottish like it or not.

Flounce.... Slam.

After all that you are still British.

Raven

« Reply #344 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:21:09 PM »
I support Raven in her post. If I am ever asked which country I come from it is England. Not "the UK" - I can't abide that nomenclature. Worse than "British".

Both sides of the border has a lot of people who feel this way. It's a personal thing, stronger in some than others.  ;)