Author Topic: British ISIS fighter soon to return to GB  (Read 34759 times)

Raven

Re: British ISIS fighter soon to return to GB
« Reply #345 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
After all that you are still British.

You have your view and I have mine. You are just looking for an argument and you are not getting one. End Of.  :-* 

Alex22

« Reply #346 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
If I'm asked where I'm from I always say England.  If I'm filling in forms I put British because England is part of Great Britain, as is Scotland. 

mick607

« Reply #347 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:42:30 PM »
If I'm asked where I'm from I always say England.  If I'm filling in forms I put British because England is part of Great Britain, as is Scotland.
Exactly !

Michael Rolls

« Reply #348 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
Actually, what really irritates me - especially on American sites - is the use of 'English' when they mean 'British'  >:(
Oh, and I am English - born in Plymouth, English father, Irish mother, one Irish grandparent, three English grandparents, and one Maltese great-great-grandparent.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #349 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:02:45 PM »
Strange..I have to say that, in my experience, the Americans are quick to claim their Irish/Welsh/Scots/ ancestry without the slightest questioning so perhaps the Americans you speak of are descendants of none of the above. There're plenty of 'em. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #350 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:22:57 AM »
The particular site that brought this to mind is Historum where American poster after American poster, despite my attempts at educating them, will refer to things like the 'English' army in WW1 and WW2, the English rule of India, England's defeat of the Luftwaffe in 1940, etc..
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #351 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
when i get introduced in India they usually slip in that i am english at which point i correct them... if they then say "its just the same"
i will 'much to their horror' ask about their Pakistani heritage then when they correct me  point out...Its just the same....
no its not the same...i am Scots...i am also British ... and if you wanna push it  am also European....
we have traced my mothers side back to Kings Barns in the 1400 ds...but my fathers side is blanc but he was born in Hamilton as was my mother and as was I... So Scots...Brit...European
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #352 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
I identify currently as English. 
It wasn't always the case.  In the RAF in '64 mixing with young men whose fathers were forestrymen in North Scotland, young men whose fathers were stevedores in Holyhead, or young men whose fathers worked in the Royal Ulster Constabulary, I was always British.  I saw very little difference in their outlook on life and mine.
But in the intervening years I've moved to become English, simply because the Union is no long intact.
Donald Dewer I blame for my journey.

Akbuk

« Reply #353 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »
Just been watching the exodus from ISIS last stronghold. Quite rightly focus is on the children, in some cases alone & shell shocked.
Uncomfortable viewing TBH. 
I’m a real he/him.

Diasi

« Reply #354 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
Just been watching the exodus from ISIS last stronghold. Quite rightly focus is on the children, in some cases alone & shell shocked.
Uncomfortable viewing TBH.

100% the fault of the ISIS fighters who rejected earlier chances of surrender & deliberately kept their children in a war zone.

Collateral damage.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #355 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
thanx Akbuk but the big problem is our wannabe ex-pat who lost her son...now imagine how that child might be brought up..
you are isis... you were born isis and will die isis... all non muslms should die because there can only be one people... we dont need them... how did Dr Who phrase it... Exteminate... Exteminate
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Akbuk

« Reply #356 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:25:05 PM »
I have no sympathy for those who voluntarily went out there. For children who were dragged out there or born there, I do feel for them.
If & I do say IF we are led to believe that countries can de- radicalise adults, how hard must it be to de-radicalise 4/5/6 year olds? Start with a bag of sweets & a cartoon on TV, something that the poor sods probably haven't experienced. 
I’m a real he/him.

Akbuk

I’m a real he/him.

GrannyMac

« Reply #358 on: Mar 16, 2019, 06:46:43 AM »
And me Akbuk.  Poor wee things, they need safety, love and care. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #359 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:15:21 AM »
People are happier in their own countries.