Author Topic: What's everone doing today?  (Read 819308 times)

richmond62

Re: What's everone doing today?
« Reply #2535 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:47:38 PM »
Teaching myself the programming language called Python3 . . .

. . . remarkably similar to PASCAL 5, which I learnt in 1984.

RoyMail

« Reply #2536 on: Feb 16, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
Spent the night sleeping under my bed to advoid  the storm Dennis ,  ;D   It must have passed me by?, then spent the rest of today donloading a important large update from M/Soft and then gettind my P.C. back to how I like it , with out instant live  messaging,imagine the horror for somebody seeing me first thing in the morning, (not saying I was a ugly baby , but the Midwife slapped my mother ) ;D
Look and Listen but keep Stumm

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2537 on: Feb 17, 2020, 03:34:26 AM »
Wondering if the weather will improve. Gale still blowing and rain lashing against the bedroom window, so the wind has filled to the west
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2538 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:18:04 AM »
Letting my blood pressure get back to normal. This computer was updated overnight and was a total and utter mess - at first it wanted me to enter a password - it isn't password protected and it took several attempts to circumvent that. Then when it opened it was a total mess - all my various links had disappeared and I spent nearly two hours trying to sort things out with a lot of difficulty. Then as it seemed to be going round in circles, I restarted - and it was as nothing had happened - although my automatic log-ons to a number of sites, including this one, have had to be reset and one of my bank account log-ins doesn't work as it used to, but at least it works!
I HATE Microsoft
Mike

klondike

« Reply #2539 on: Feb 17, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
If you hate Microsoft and don't want to lose your favourites and browser stored passwords with Windows updates then why on earth are you using Edge which I assume you must be.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2540 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:06:11 AM »
No, I'm using Google Chrome - have been for years. Never touched Edge.
Mike

klondike

« Reply #2541 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Strange then. There was a dodgy MS update as I mentioned in another thread touching on this. It gave me no problems but I have still backed out the update on my lappy and desktop.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1243132/Windows-10-Update-KB4524244-Pulled-PC

klondike

« Reply #2542 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »
Ah I think I know why I had no problems. It seems that the duff fix was to newer machines using uefi to boot rather than the old style Bios method. I suspect you must have a newer machine. I only buy refurbs of high end business machines because that gives much more bang for your buck.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2543 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »
This machine is just coming up to 5 years old - bought April 2015. Originally W7, got upgraded to W10 when it had to have some work done. I have just been told that Google Chrome is not my default, despite setting it as such earlier - which I have now done again.. It has also discovered a new trick - if I minimise a website whilst checking something, it promptly closes the site.
As I may have not been using GC I will now try a smiley  ;D
Mike
And it works - looks like the bloody machine wants to do its own thing!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2544 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
Do MS have the slightest bloody clue - just read that link!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2545 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
And now, when I minimised this site a moment ago, it didn't close - so perhaps I was unknowingly - and unwillingly -using edge
Mike

Coastal

« Reply #2546 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »
That's why I installed Windows Update Blocker, the whole point of updates is supposed to be to improve the operating system, all it ever seems to do is cause problems, not a problem now with NO updates  ;D   
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Floydian

« Reply #2547 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
I'd love to be able to cut my lawns today, obviously they're all wet and swampy so i can't but boy has the grass shot up this last week or two....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2548 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:42:04 AM »
That's why I installed Windows Update Blocker, the whole point of updates is supposed to be to improve the operating system, all it ever seems to do is cause problems, not a problem now with NO updates  ;D
That sounds interesting - I have had quite a few of updates on this machine and although this is the first time one has caused chaos - thankfully more or less temporarily - I haven't noticed any improvements at any time, but I have noticed that the machine is a good bit slower than when first bought
Mike

klondike

« Reply #2549 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:43:02 AM »
And now, when I minimised this site a moment ago, it didn't close - so perhaps I was unknowingly - and unwillingly -using edge
Mike
It would also explain why you lost your favourites and stored passwords. My betting is that they'll be back now too.

Not sure why but I've only once had an issue after a Windows update and that was losing my bluetooth afther a big feature upgrade (not that I used and of the new features). It took me a while to fix it and I really didn't believe the suddestion I found on a forum which was to install the bluetooth drivers from a different manufacturer to the chip my nachine used. Ridiculously it worked. I've kept the driver install in case it happens again.