Author Topic: What's everone doing today?  (Read 809358 times)

crabbyob

Re: What's everone doing today?
« Reply #5940 on: Sep 30, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
nice to hear from you Granny Moss
your like a ray of Italian sun to us poor Troglodytes... ;D ;D ;D    
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #5941 on: Sep 30, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »

Keep painting and posting Granny Moss.

Off to the woods today. I hope I'm not in for a big surprise. I'm pretty sure there are no teddybears but rain is forecast later.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Bee

« Reply #5942 on: Sep 30, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
Wasting too much time on here, so I'd best be off. ;D ;D
The only way is up....

Muffin

« Reply #5943 on: Sep 30, 2020, 01:04:01 PM »
Not a lot as I have the week off work, and to top it all, the rain's pouring down.

digitalis

« Reply #5944 on: Sep 30, 2020, 02:04:43 PM »
Wouldnt it be great if GM could improveor teachsomeonesomeItalian sayjust x1 hr a week. Meet someone new,someone younger. Conversation. Andan opening into another life,maybe.

Still,can always be a bit of a to-do,I suppose. Lucky GM isnt a man. As a He we are all the bad things in life.

Nice to have a belief,and meet others who have faith.

Nice to talk and meet with people.

Covid has killed a lotta meeting.

Sun and an up-coming summer cheers the mind. But who wants to wish away Time...

To be without pain and disability is good.

Told before: ladyaround where I live is constricted by wheelchair;can only get around blowing in some pipe thing and the motor in her wheelchair. Looks and speaks as happy as Larry. The lady looks after her 90 year old husband.She must be 75+

Such a story tells me shut up the moaning

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5945 on: Sep 30, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
Is that the Possum system? If so, came across it about 45 years ago at a home for disabled folk in Putney. Fascinated to talk to a young lady, wheelchair bound since birth, who used it to turn the light of her room on and off, turn on the TV, change channels, call for assistance, etc., all by blowing in a tube somehow.
I thought it was marvelous the independence it gave her when she had no control, to any useful degree, over her limbs.

I was accompanied by the matron as I toured the home and when we were alone, I did comment to her that the wrought iron motif over the gates  read 'Putney Home and Hospital for Incurables'. Wasn't that depressing for the patients, I asked. Treated to a smile.
'The people in here can't see it, never mind read it. It's there to make people like you feel guilty about your good health.'
It worked - I was there because they had asked for monies from a budget for which I was responsible - found them £100k - worth about £580k in today's money
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

richmond62

« Reply #5946 on: Sep 30, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
I remember the Possum system.

Among a load of fairly goofy things I did between school and University, I worked as a volunteer "bum washer"
at a Cheshire home in Brixham in Devon, and had a fantastic time; mainly because the staff and most of the patients
were an incredibly positive and optimistic bunch.

There was one chap, who was about 45 at the time, who had started developing Muscular Dystrophy at about 9,
and he had then educated himself, and with the aid of a Possum system had written 2 books.

I don't know about feeling guilty about my good health; but when I had a heart attack about 6 years ago (when I was 52),
I suddenly thought of that bunch of wonderful people in their wheelchairs, automated beds and so forth, and I stopped feeling sorry
for myself licketty-split.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5947 on: Sep 30, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
Well done, sir
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5948 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:16:39 AM »
Listening to the rain pelting down. Just read that our branch of TSB two miles up the road 'temporarily' closed due to the virus, won't be reopening. As usual, the bank have said what a hard decision it has been, but 94% of their customers will still be within 20 minutes travelling time of an open branch. Guess what? I'm in the 6%. Even by car, my nearest branch is over 20 minutes - and if I had to rely on a bus.....
Wouldn't be so bad if one could rely on telephoning the bank, but the last time I tried- to report a scam - I gave up after hanging on the phone for the best part of half an hour

Mike

granny moss

« Reply #5949 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »
Good morning everybody....Up at 7am....My young lady is coming this morning to pedicure my feet....She is absolutely lovely  and so cheerful !...From Norway ! I painted for her 3 lovely cards....Also I ordered on line a pair of leather shoes from Clarks...and a pair of pretty slippers from M&S....As my feetare now a bit swallen, I cannot use them...So, I am going to give them to her to take to the Home where she goes to take care of the retired ladies in there. Sure someone will be able to make good use of them....They are still in the boxes they arrived.
Starting today, four Birthday cards....Lots of pleasure awaiting..... :D Messing about with colours is very soothing !  Wish you all a pleasant day...gmx

granny moss

« Reply #5950 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:36:50 AM »
 I do all my banking on line, and it is so very easy. I keep a daily check on my accounts. I transfer money easily to other's people accounts. Also, do all my shopping on a Credit card, on line. Only shop from well known established companies. Pay the card in full once a month, on their statement. I am totally housebound...so, I am glad of the ability of using the services. Also keep in touch with doctors etc via e.mail. Much easier than waiting hours on the 'phone...gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5951 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:41:54 AM »
I'm much the same, granny, and I haven't needed physically to go into a bank since the beginning of lockdown when I very hurriedly drew out some cash. I have, however, needed to talk face to face with someone occasionally - and also I knew the folk in our branch - when one of the ladies retired we gave her a box of chocolates and a bottle of champagne - can't do that on-line
Mike

klondike

« Reply #5952 on: Oct 01, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »
I've still got some of the cash I drew out at the start of lockdown. Everybody wants cards instead.

Ashy

« Reply #5953 on: Oct 01, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
I love the touch screen in the shops. Touch here for contactless. OK.

klondike

« Reply #5954 on: Oct 01, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

It's true of most anti-viral measures we take - far from 100% reliable. The only way to be safe is in one of those NBC suits and given the age of the most vulnerable they can probably only stay in one of those for a couple of hours at a stretch.