Author Topic: What's everone doing today?  (Read 809352 times)

GrannyMac

Re: What's everone doing today?
« Reply #645 on: May 24, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »
A good quality Scotch mutton pie should never be tasteless Dayjo.  😛
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

ronyork

« Reply #646 on: May 24, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
Just digested a reply from the local health cartel/I applied to see if Audrey could get some aftercare for her dementia/Alzimers, No was the plain answer. she cannot,feed herself, wash herself, attend her toilet by herself, dress herself, think for herself, she does not know me, or even who she is, where she lives, or even how many children she has, I inject her with insulin daily,take her blood test daily, cream her legs daily, But she does not meet the CRITERIA  for help. No doubt if she was an addict/drunkard/ illegal /this care would be readily available, OH WHAT AM i DOING TODAY, ITS THE SAME EVERY DAY. I realize there are many in this position with very little or no help .N.H.S. NOT WHEN WE NEED IT.

Coastal

« Reply #647 on: May 24, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »
Well it's Friday so a couple of pints down the pub (so in other words nothing new) I really must find something to do that doesn't result in spending a lot of money, I keep buying pots and containers for the garden but even the cheap ones (container, compost, plants) cost enough, plus if I buy many more I'll have to use the hose when watering, (or more trips with the can) the sky's a bit hazy so a drive out with the camera is unlikely.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Coastal

« Reply #648 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »
Ronyork, maybe you need to point out to them that if you carry on as you are you'll both be in need of care, lay it on a bit about your health and wellbeing, that might sound a bit hard but sometimes you have to kick up a stink to get the attention you need.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Sheila

« Reply #649 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
Just digested a reply from the local health cartel/I applied to see if Audrey could get some aftercare for her dementia/Alzimers, No was the plain answer. she cannot,feed herself, wash herself, attend her toilet by herself, dress herself, think for herself, she does not know me, or even who she is, where she lives, or even how many children she has, I inject her with insulin daily,take her blood test daily, cream her legs daily, But she does not meet the CRITERIA  for help. No doubt if she was an addict/drunkard/ illegal /this care would be readily available, OH WHAT AM i DOING TODAY, ITS THE SAME EVERY DAY. I realize there are many in this position with very little or no help .N.H.S. NOT WHEN WE NEED IT.

That's terrible Ron.  My mother had Alzheimers and the stress of looking after her was awful.  Eventually we found a good residential home who would take her and we sold her house to pay for her care.

A very good friend of mine also suffered from it and her husband was wonderful.  I used to go and visit her and she always recognised me and looked pleased to see me.  One of my big regrets is that I didn't visit her in hospital just before she died.  There was norovirus in the hospital and visiting was banned.

sparky

« Reply #650 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »
Ronyork, Yeah you must not let them fob you off,  you need to have them get their fingers out, it might be worth having a word with her doctor,  they often have influence, my late wife did not need half the help from me you describe, but they were quite happy to send a district nurse at least once a day to help.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #651 on: May 24, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
Ronyork
As with Sparky, Veronica wasn't in need of anything like the level of support your lady does when she was discharged after 8 weeks in hospital back in 2015, but social services and the district nurse provided support. Thankfully, we only needed it for a matter of days, but for them to claim your good lady does not meet the criteria astonishes me. Have they told what those criteria are? And how she fails to meet them? And if they haven't told you - why not?
All the best in your endeavours
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #652 on: May 24, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
Ronyork.What would happen if god forbid you were unable to look after your wife ? I think I would be pursuing this matter, the level of care you provide for your wife then you deserve some respite care.Absolutely disgraceful.Best wishes to you both.

ronyork

« Reply #653 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
Have appealed three times, first time a split decision, s another appeal (no) now the result of another decision (no) intend now after talking to the medical ombudsman office who have asked for the result of the last appeal which I  intend posting off next week, But am not holding my breath.

Sheila

« Reply #654 on: May 24, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
Ron, have you had help in applying, maybe from Age UK or The Citizens Advice?  I was turned down when I applied for Attendance Allowance but when Citizens Advice helped me to fill in the form, it was accepted.

Diasi

« Reply #655 on: May 24, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
Ronyork.What would happen if god forbid you were unable to look after your wife ?

The local council would seize his home & assets to pay for her care.

That's what would happen.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #656 on: May 24, 2019, 12:51:24 PM »

How terrible for you Ronyork..  It is bloody disgusting.. It makes you wonder if they are of the opinion that if you have property then you should sell the property to fund the help and care that your wife desperately needs.
Again, it is (wiser) to have nothing for that is the time the help from outside comes into play..
You can work hard.. save for a home for your family.. pay into a pension etc; etc;... You can just jog along and live a decent life but have no assets.. OR you can do bugger all..
 Without thinking about it I know the answer as to who will be looked after by the state when the chips are down.. And it sure isn't those that have tried hard and done the decent thing..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #657 on: May 24, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
There also quick enough to tell you there not a bottomless money pit and if they are paying you will be reviewed on a regular basis and if a cheaper care home is found your off to that one 😟

If that was the case I think I would sell my house at least I would be in control of where I went and what sort of care home I was in

GrannyMac

« Reply #658 on: May 24, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
Whilst we are fit and able, we'll stay put. However we've had the discussion about moving nearer one of the children if we need to, and that will be to smaller rented accommodation.  We will make sure we understand all the rules about what we can do with our capital, and we'll get rid of as much as we can to our family.  Our son in law may buy an apartment and we can be his tenants.

Apart from paying rent, we'll save on housing costs, no maintenance, cheaper heating costs, perhaps even lower council tax! 

Ron, I wondered as Sheila said if you've had help with your claim from the CAB, Age UK, or the Alzheimers society?  Is there a Carers' centre in your locality? I know the one here in Sheffield offers help and support to people in similar situations to yourself.  It can't be easy, day in day out.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

ronyork

« Reply #659 on: May 24, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »
Thanks for all the advice ,been round them all (plenty of paperwork and leaflets, even had an expert call round on a sunday morning with a list of nearest care homes,  be careful of dispersal of assets or investigation of unusual spending,    One thinks why did I save.