Author Topic: Collecting Dolls Houses  (Read 1608 times)

Jenny Rob

Collecting Dolls Houses
« on: Feb 26, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
I started collecting dolls houses when I retired and I now have nine in total with some gardens, picnic areas etc. as well.  My husband has really enjoyed building the houses and I furnish them and make bedding etc.  We have a good collection of figures to go in the houses and altogether we find it a very interesting hobby although it is rather expensive.

crabbyob

Re: Collecting Dolls Houses
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
i know nothing about dolls houses, but am always impressed hen a couple share a hobby, i play golf and go angling when possible, good luck with your collection
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
If any are more than a metre cubed you could probably rent them out these days.  :)

Bobcat

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:00:46 PM »
I've got a half finished dolls house in the garage and all the bits to finish it - will get around to finish it one day !!!!!

Yellowbird

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »
When our Grandchildren were small we made them all either dolls houses or forts for the boys. We made one windmill for "Lucy" it was constantly back for new sails. One other dolls house had a revolving hidden room. We had so much fun making these houses, alas too old now to continue making for our Gt Grandchildren. Happy Days
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
What a lovely hobby Jenny  !  :) maybe you could put some photos up  ?

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
I always admire creativity.  Your dolls' houses sound lovely Jenny.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »
We've got one at  home - probably sixty or so years old.  The eight year old granddaughters are the ones who get great fun out of it currently.
I get the brick-bats - wife telling me I should get around to doing work on the thing, repair some of the furniture, make new furniture, re-wall-paper the bed-rooms, a thousand small things to do. It is an investment my wife tells me.
In spite of its dog-eared appearence, the grandkids get loads of fun from it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »
Veronica was a bit hurt when Victoria (daughter) declined the offer of what had been Veronica's dolls' house when she had been a little girl and I had renovated it, made furniture for it, installed electric lighting (but no plumbing  ;D ;D ), so it went to the charity shop.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
I think little girls prefer phones these days.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
Ah, Victoria was about 30 at the time about to marry and now has a lovely daughter of her own - but no dolls' house!
Mike

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
I'd assumed that the dolls house was intended for a granddaughter. Children don't decline unwanted gifts they just don't play with them.

You can't be alone in this as I have seen dolls houses in my local charity shop several times. Even basic ones have quite sizeable price tags. They go but I'm not sure if they are sold as the shop frequently has a van dropping off and picking up stuff so I assume if something doesn't sell it gets moved on to another branch - probably GM can comment as I think she still does some voluntary work in one.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
That's right - to be fair to Victoria where she and Miguel lived at the time was a pretty cramped flat in Madrid.
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
I'd assumed that the dolls house was intended for a granddaughter. Children don't decline unwanted gifts they just don't play with them.

You can't be alone in this as I have seen dolls houses in my local charity shop several times. Even basic ones have quite sizeable price tags. They go but I'm not sure if they are sold as the shop frequently has a van dropping off and picking up stuff so I assume if something doesn't sell it gets moved on to another branch - probably GM can comment as I think she still does some voluntary work in one.

We get donations of toys including the odd dolls' house in our shop.  We don't have room for really large items, but if something is in good condition we would try to display it.  Good quality toys are popular sellers, and are usually priced at much less than half their original price.   We do exchange items between branches, normally after a period of time where they haven't sold. 

I really enjoy working as a volunteer there.  I've been amazed at some donations - great quality, unused/hardly used items right through to broken crockery, half used packets of food, and other items I wouldn't mention in polite company!   
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
and other items I wouldn't mention in polite company!
I do hope they were unused  :)