Author Topic: 2 million pensiomers live in poverty.  (Read 3282 times)

brian54

Re: 2 million pensiomers live in poverty.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »

Oh dear Traveller, I have been talking about this on here for ages.  If everyone had the same state pension - a basic living pension - of say, £12,500 from this April - we should take people out of all means tested benefits with the exception of housing benefit.  As that will only be sorted out by building more houses I'm afraid that needs to be put aside for the moment.  All those on the basic living pension would then not receive a personal tax allowance (although you might want to introduce a lower level of tax up to that amount).   The savings in admin alone should help pay for this plus the claw-back in tax allowance and the fact that people higher up the tax scale would have the £12,500 counted in so would tip into the higher rate taxation a little earlier.  From a council tax point of view more people would be paying, the council would have a reduction in admin and paying your council tax tends to make you more involved in what your council it doing.

However, I doubt they would ever change those already receiving a pension onto a new one. Although they might "offer" it I doubt they could just go ahead and do it.

I think they should pay out pensions in accordance with what people have paid in. If people have not paid in the should get nothing out.

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
I think they should pay out pensions in accordance with what people have paid in. If people have not paid in the should get nothing out.

Let them eat cake.

That ended well....
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:03:01 PM »
It did in the end Mac. The people forced a republic into being and the aristocracy were dismantled in unpleasant ways. I'd call that a result! ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
It did in the end Mac. The people forced a republic into being and the aristocracy were dismantled in unpleasant ways. I'd call that a result! ;)

I was thinking about Marie Antionette.  But you're right about the outcome of course.  I should have taken my usual stance and ignored Brian's ridiculous statement.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
Just teasing you Mac. Your point was a good one. Us humanitarians need to stick together. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.