Author Topic: How do you get into cricket?  (Read 1438 times)

digitalis

How do you get into cricket?
« on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:33:07 AM »

Most playing fields are now sold off. To make schools monies.

The land is then built upon for houses and supermarkets and wotnot.

Only public schools and 'secret' state schools keep their grounds.

I wonder if the only way to get into the game is thru attending one of these schools,or thru your dad...and his playing connections. The rest of British youth are left to perfect our running skills(to flee from those who wield knives)or learn combative knife zombie fighting skills.

Remember where Mark Steel told us that public schools hold secretive public school cricket competitions and trials outside of normal state school times? Maybe Joe Public could hold open day knife skills fighting training days.

I wonder if the BBC should encourage those who are disadvantaged and living in rat towns and cities to practice cricket on their X boxes with their thumbs? Could it catch on? Any hope of joining the 'real stuff' where the money hangs?

zoony

Re: How do you get into cricket?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
To answer your original question, there are small cricket clubs the length and breadth of England who're always happy to welcome new members and players of whatever standard.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »
"....public schools hold secretive public school cricket competitions and trials outside of normal state school times"
Why would they be secret?

Cassandra

« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »
To answer your original question, there are small cricket clubs the length and breadth of England who're always happy to welcome new members and players of whatever standard.

My local club has a thriving membership and a most active nursery. We encourage young people to come for an evening 'Net' practice, where we have a surfeit of donated and sponsored kit for them to use. I took many such last season, seeing lads turning up regularly and we also have 'packed' indoor net sessions throughout the winter. Along with other members and county players we are invited to visit schools to offer our facilities. Sadly many State schools have given up the game, as their grounds have been sold off in conjunction with their budgets being culled. Many clubs now fill the gap as Zoony has suggested. Our Asian youngsters are particularly talented and enthusiastic. As always this wonderful game unites all youngsters regardless of ethnicity or background.

I did go to a Public School and was coached by the same pro from Essex who turned up in his own time at the local club Weds Evenings and Saturday mornings as well in the Winter at 'in door' instruction to bring on those without this benefit and I've followed his example, because I enjoy it. I don't recall any 'secret' fixtures whilst my dad paid the fees? I plainly remember opening the batting at Lords for London Schoolboys v's those from Kent. I was bowled for a duck by a chap from Penge Grammar called 'Derek Underwood'. My friend a famous left arm quick who played 37 times for England went to the local State School, but was spotted and developed through the 'nets night scenario' above.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »
Excellent story Cassandra and it makes a nice change. And reminds me that the live cricket is about to start from the Windies..

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:13:18 AM »
"How do you get into cricket" I was going to suggest having the brain removed but I think that might be football.  ;D
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

digitalis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »

Secret: ...as in covert. As in hidden...camouflaged...not made public...disguised. Secrets need not be purposefully hidden...but are not made open unless...you know where to look,who to contact,what questions to ask. Some secrets are kept secret by structured anomolies,boards or committess. A secret is discriminatory in that it keeps 'the other' out. The sophistry of certain establishments of England is that it will always have its 'token' intake of 'other' so that it can raise it should it come under question.

Just watching the local news over years I noticed that when they reported on some local cricketer they always seemed to have a father in the game and that they had come from a 'certain schooling'...the more so than football. My comments are a generalization,of course,but I believe my premise holds some truth. Mark Steele cemented my prejudices over the games 'open-ness' when he detailed the 'funny trials and training cricket event' he inadvertently went to when playing truant from school. Its rather a sad story if and when you think about it.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »
I went to the same school as M.J.K.Smith former England Captain.  We had a very good first eleven who played quite openly against other schools and I don't recall anything at all "secretive" about it. My dad was an outstanding batsman who in 1931 was awarded the Viceroy's ceremonial bat in India annually awarded to the serviceman with the highest aggregate score in the Army Command through the season.  Sadly I did not follow in his footsteps; while enjoying the game I was hardly noteworthy myself.  My younger son who also went to the school, captained the first eleven in his day and was still playing for a north country team well into his forties.  As an aside, he is now a born again sprint cyclist in his early fifties! 

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
My dad was an outstanding batsman who in 1931 was awarded the Viceroy's ceremonial bat in India annually awarded to the serviceman with the highest aggregate score in the Army Command through the season.

So was he the Viceroy's batman?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:08:00 PM »
Excellent story Cassandra and it makes a nice change. And reminds me that the live cricket is about to start from the Windies..

Thanks Zoony,

In another Life (35 + years ago) I was on the Committee of a top flight Lancashire League Club. Our Pro retired mid season through injury and I was told by an Ex England player of a lad on Grand Cayman whom was recommended as being ‘lethal’. He flew over and stayed with us in our home for the rest of the season. His International Banking employers (great cricket fans) gave him six weeks paid leave from his job as a cashier to join us. It’s a great tale in detail, but in truncation he bowled like the wind and took 6-11 in his first game. Amazingly in the next full season he topped the batting averages too and took even more wickets than Roy Gilchrist. His skills were just totally natural. Indeed when Joel Garner came over to see him and offer coaching, he just giggled and said, ‘man this kid can do it all - he don’t need no-one -wow! We won the League by his amazing performances that year. His millionaire employers gave him a wonderful job back home, just to play weekends for their team ‘The Village Greenies’. A lovely, lovely lad who richened my life with his skills and winning personality - nothing was ever too much trouble. I’m thrilled the Great Windies have re-kindled their pedigree, I thought we’d lost them forever to basket and baseball.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »
I expect you know 'Bumble' Lloyd then. ;)

Couldn't agree more that it's good to see them competitive again.. Not sure what happened over the last 30-odd years but I suspect you're right about baseball and basketball taking their toll.

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
I expect you know 'Bumble' Lloyd then. ;)

Couldn't agree more that it's good to see them competitive again.. Not sure what happened over the last 30-odd years but I suspect you're right about baseball and basketball taking their toll.
Yes and a very funny man too. An accomplished after dinner speaker and that fabulous East Lancashire accent from Accrington!

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
How do you get into cricket?

I've never been to a cricket match but I would have thought it was through a turnstile.  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »
Most cricket is played outside in public, there are no turnstiles.

em

« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
There are turnstiles into Old Trafford.