Author Topic: pensioners and pip  (Read 9524 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: pensioners and pip
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
If you get one before retirement age the entitlement continues until you die or at least it did in the case of my BIL.

You are right if you were claiming DLA and were born before the 8th April 2013. If you were born on or after that date you are forced to make a new claim for PIP. PIP by its own definition is one that is regularly reassessed no matter what age you are.
Although the government last year have said that those who have had to claim PIP and are over 65 will no longer have these reassessments, this isn't the actual truth. Only those that have shown with evidence supporting it in their previous claim/reassessment that they have a condition that will never improve and/or is life threatening will get an automatic 10 year award which will be reassessed at that 10 year point with a 'light touch'. All other pensioners will still continue to be regularly reassessed no matter how old they are.
How do I know that? I'm 71 previously had both the high rates of DLA for 22 years. Forced onto PIP in 2017 I eventually was awarded Enhanced Care & Mobility. Because I failed at that time to make the case how I would be in the future and thus not eligible for the automatic 10 year award I have had to apply to be reassessed at some point this year.

GrannyMac

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »
I believe it was necessary to tighten up the criteria.  At one time a doctor's diagnosis was the main basis, but I understand that stopped, as it was abused by some claimants.

In the 1990s I attended a training course in another town, for housing staff and tenants.  One poor fellow, in his fifties, hobbled in on his crutches every week.  He was known to several of the others, hadn't worked in years, because of his 'condition'.  You can imagine my surprise when I saw him tuck his crutches under his arm to run for his bus.  No doubt he had a free travel card too.  A young friend's father in law hasn't worked since he was in his forties.  Bad back, claimed DLA for years, much to her disgust.

I compared them to a young man who was my supervisor years previously. Polio in his childhood left him unable to walk. But that never stopped him working.  He had my utmost respect.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2020, 05:04:46 PM »
I believe it was necessary to tighten up the criteria.  At one time a doctor's diagnosis was the main basis, but I understand that stopped, as it was abused by some claimants.

In the 1990s I attended a training course in another town, for housing staff and tenants.  One poor fellow, in his fifties, hobbled in on his crutches every week.  He was known to several of the others, hadn't worked in years, because of his 'condition'.  You can imagine my surprise when I saw him tuck his crutches under his arm to run for his bus.  No doubt he had a free travel card too.  A young friend's father in law hasn't worked since he was in his forties.  Bad back, claimed DLA for years, much to her disgust.

I compared them to a young man who was my supervisor years previously. Polio in his childhood left him unable to walk. But that never stopped him working.  He had my utmost respect.

I really do have to agree to what you have said. Yes DLA was abused so much that it was getting out of control. The main culprit for this was the court system.
What was the intent of DLA back when it came out in 1992 ended up something totally different by 2013. The courts had redefined the law as originally intended so much that almost everyone in the country had a fighting chance of getting an award - disabled or not.