Author Topic: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty  (Read 31230 times)

Bobcat

Re: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
Yes, you're right, Ill just stop posting !!

Goingtoseed

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »

The current definition for a couple, so I am told, is below 60% of the average wage after housing costs have been covered/

Based on the current figure of approx. £27,000, no couple should have an income of below £16,200 per annum - £312 a week.

The average current level of SRP for a couple where the breadwinner has contributed the minimum amount of contributions in his lifetime is, based on the old system, £129 per week plus his wife's pension of approx. £77 a week.

Thus the average pensioner couple would be getting £206 a week.

So on balance the couple are receiving £106 a week less than the minimum to avoid being in poverty This payment would be made up by way of Pension Credit to what the government say they need to live on - £255 a week - £57 less than the poverty line.

So effectively with the poverty line for a couple set at £312 a week, the government are saying that for a pensioner couple they don't need that amount, they should be happy with £255 a week!!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
Nor sure I totally follow. The £27,000 average is for one person - so are we saying that for a couple to be seen as being in poverty they will have a total income of less than 60% of one individual's average income?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Flying bomb

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2019, 08:05:23 AM »

And how many in poverty now, during their life, spent money on fags,  booze,  drugs,
expensive clothes, holidays etc instead of saving ?

If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Michaelt

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »
Flying Bomb, The fact is that when they were spending their hard earned money on enjoying their lives when working, paying their bills ect, they still were contributing paying into the system via taxes and National Insurance contributions.

The fact is that when Margaret Thatcher broke the State pensions link with earnings in 1980, all; those years ago, she cut the value of the State pension at a stroke, Britain's State pension is to low to live on, and means tested handouts are a disgrace to those particularly who remain alive, and who fought for our freedom during WW2.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
And how many in poverty now, during their life, spent money on fags,  booze,  drugs,
It's a fair point, but no way can we know the answer. Sadly, a large number of folk seem never to have heard of the word 'thrift' - or if the have, they don't believe in it. And Michaelt's point is also valid - nothing is ever simple!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »
Flying bomb, while that may be true, a few of my friends who are on their own, and have never spent their money in that way, and  worked hard all their lives, because they are just above the limit to qualify for pension credit are struggling.The UK basic state pension is a pittance compared to other less wealthy countries, but maybe those countries can afford it, because don't squander billions on things like foreign aid, HS2, etc and other madcap schemes thought up by the useless prats in Westminster, who recently awarded themselves an extra £2000 a year on top of the already undeserved salaries.

GrannyMac

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »

Some will, some won't. Pension scheme gone awry, poor health, bereavement, divorce, low paid work, disabled child, small business failure - all reasons how someone who has tried their best may end up with very little in retirement.   If the state pension was a reasonable amount for all, then there would be no need for extra benefits, and people, like those sparky mentions, who had managed to save a little towards their retirement might believe it was worthwhile.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michaelt

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
To one and all.  Britain's State pension is the lowest in Europe because the Tories simply are ideologically opposed to anything the State pays out for, this includes the State pension.

This is why our vital services are being privatised, including the NHS bit by bit by Tory MP Matthew Hancock.

Its the politics behind the low State pension in this countries that's important, and not whether pensioners when working were squandering their hard earned money, this in my view is tiny minded rubbish.

The roll of the State is slowly but surely being abolished in favour of privatisation.  From the low State pension , to privatisation of our NHS, it is all connected.

Sadly in this country so few people see this.

Flying bomb

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »

When I was a kid there was a slogan we all knew,
"Save up for a rainy day." 
 I did.

If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

sparky

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »
Flying bomb, I was fortunate in being able to put a few bob away, and I have no time for the idle scroungers of society, but there are many that for a whole variety of reasons despite a lifetime of hard graft were unable to save,  Like many others I suspect, with the  latest increase council tax, energy costs, etc, this years paltry state pension increase will be more than wiped out many times over, I am lucky, in  being able to make up the shortfall, many cannot, there is no excuse for what is effectively reducing an already p**s poor state pension.

Michaelt

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2019, 11:13:48 AM »
To one and all.  This term "idle scroungers of Society", is similar to how Hitler viewed the Jews.   Take care when using such language to describe people you have probably never met.

Never judge one,  and then make it the whole......

GrannyMac

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
Flying bomb, I was fortunate in being able to put a few bob away, and I have no time for the idle scroungers of society, but there are many that for a whole variety of reasons despite a lifetime of hard graft were unable to save,  Like many others I suspect, with the  latest increase council tax, energy costs, etc, this years paltry state pension increase will be more than wiped out many times over, I am lucky, in  being able to make up the shortfall, many cannot, there is no excuse for what is effectively reducing an already p**s poor state pension.

I'm glad that you recognise that not everyone can achieve the retirement they might hope for.

In the words of the Bard : The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley'.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
Michaelt,  To deny there are many bone idle people, p**s artists, crackheads, etc, who are quite happy to sit back through their entire lives and ponce off the responsible members of society, would be turning a blind eye IMO, and these are the ones I object to supporting, not the many  unfortunate ones that have hit on hard times.

Michaelt

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
sparky, If you read my post properly, you will see that im not denying such people exit.  I myself have been unemployed and living on State benefits for a long time.  Would you accuse me of being an idler and scrounger ?