Author Topic: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty  (Read 31222 times)

Undercover Pensioner

Re: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »

I have never really felt that "household income" should even be a 'thing'; it's unreasonable and unacceptable in this day and age except, perhaps, for the very, very old who see life like that, but even then I think people should be treated as individuals.  I do wonder if the will of those who cannot see the difference between poverty in a rich country and poverty in a poor country and the sharing of the economic advantages just as they share the economic problems is that we reach the stage where we leave small children to try and find safety in a ally-way or on a station when there is no family to care for them?  I think there is at least one on this forum who thinks that is how "poverty" should be, and several excessively unthinking people who just don't care.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

sparky

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »

I myself have been unemployed and living on State benefits for a long time. Would you accuse me of being an idler and scrounger ?

Michael, Well that would depend entirely on how much effort you had put into not only getting back into work, but your particular circumstances.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2019, 12:15:04 PM »
Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe maybe. Totally depends on your circumstances. As dear old Professor Joad used to say in the Brain's Trust 'It all depends.......'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Flying bomb

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »

O, I forgot to mention wasting money on tattooing.
Pearls inserted on the tongue  and in other places !!
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Michaelt

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2019, 01:07:46 PM »
sparky, my personal circumstances at the time are none of your business....You have a chip on your shoulder, and one day you are going to label somebody to their face, and they are going to knock that chip off...

I bet you lap up programmes like Benefit Street, these will feed your mindset....

GrannyMac

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
If someone says they have been claiming unemployment benefits for a lengthy period, but gives no reason, then it's hardly surprising that the question 'why' might come up.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »

Michaelt, As you rightly  point out I do not know your circumstances or wish to, which is exactly why I am in no position to label you a scrounger or not, but judging how you are getting on your high horse, I am thinking,,,,,,,,,,,If the cap fits and all that, but to repeat my opinion  on the subject, I am more than  than happy to help to support with my taxes those that have come across hard times, are disabled, ill etc, but I strongly object to funding those that are too idle to get off their arse, p**s artists, druggies, etc.  and if that puts a chip on my shoulder. so be it.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »
When I was a kid there was a slogan we all knew,
"Save up for a rainy day." 
 I did.

That was how I was brought up too. But after seeing what the State did to my family on both my grandfather's and father's life savings, investments etc by way of death taxes - 40% wiped off my father's estate alone, I am glad that I had a different perspective. I saved and spent most of our money on paying off the mortgages. What was left, we have had a damn good time on it. We live in a lovely property all paid for. Thank goodness we saw the world when we were younger, now, we can't leave the UK as no one will give us travel insurance due to illnesses.

And while we are on about paying taxes as we spend (VAT) I strongly object to having to pay 20% on part of my State pension back to the government in tax!

Michaelt

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
sparky, I believe layabouts are in the minority, therefore not worth worrying about in the scheme of things.

PS. You dont know the circumstances of those you demonise..., either.

sparky

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »

I believe layabouts are in the minority, therefore not worth worrying about in the scheme of things

Michaelt,  You or I have no idea of the numbers involved, but be it  many or few, it  p****s me off at the thought that taxpayers are funding their self imposed idle lifestyle, when that money could be better used on the NHS, or care of the sick  elderly among many other things.

GrannyMac

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2019, 07:30:53 PM »
I have never really felt that "household income" should even be a 'thing'; it's unreasonable and unacceptable in this day and age except, perhaps, for the very, very old who see life like that, but even then I think people should be treated as individuals.  I do wonder if the will of those who cannot see the difference between poverty in a rich country and poverty in a poor country and the sharing of the economic advantages just as they share the economic problems is that we reach the stage where we leave small children to try and find safety in a ally-way or on a station when there is no family to care for them?  I think there is at least one on this forum who thinks that is how "poverty" should be, and several excessively unthinking people who just don't care.

It's interesting how household income is used to calculate benefits, and to measure 'poverty', yet for income tax purposes each earner in a family is kept separate.  Child Benefit is paid to parents earning under £50k each in a two parent household, yet let just one person be working and earning £50k and it starts reducing to nil at £60k.  Council tax is reduced by 25% for single people regardless of income - yet a couple can have far less income but have to pay the full whack.   I think the way benefits are calculated on households is part of the reason why single person, and single parent households have seen big increases.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
Am I reading that right? A couple can have a combined income of £99,998 and get child benefit, yet a couple with only one income of £60,000 doesn't?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michaelt

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2019, 09:45:08 PM »
To one and all.    It's not to do with child benefit per se, just that when you do a self-assessment tax return it asks you about certain tax deductible expenses that are otherwise invisible if you only PAYE.    I can    sort of    understand how the system has ended up this way. It's too difficult to actually link partners together for tax purposes (although there's also the    marriage allowance       so it's based on a single income. Yes it creates an insane loophole,    

zoony

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
Please edit your posts MT..I'm sure people will read them then...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
Am I reading that right? A couple can have a combined income of £99,998 and get child benefit, yet a couple with only one income of £60,000 doesn't?
Mike

Basically, yes.  Its spelt out here.   https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/changes-to-child-benefit-from-2013

R. Gervais