Author Topic: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty  (Read 31238 times)

zoony

Re: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »
The sad thing is that the couple on £99,998 p/a will probably claim it too.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
Seems decidedly odd!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
fortyone.  Actually the real issue isnt poverty among the elderly.  The real issue is the level of State pension in this country that has already been paid for via a working life of contributing to it, even millionaire pensioners have the right to a decent level of basic State pension .

We have pensioners using food banks in this country, and this is disgusting.

We can argue poverty all day and all night, which im not about to do.

Every single person in this country of retirement age has the right to a decent level of basic State pension.  Its not rocket science.  Its just the way it should be...

I could have used a food bank last week.
I only went in to a church to buy a coffee and a cake and they assumed I wanted the food bank.
I did laugh and say that the donors would not be pleased if they saw me taking food from the foodbank.
Only people who have contributed should be allowed a decent state pension.
One man I know claims he worked hard all his life but did cash in hand jobs paying no tax for years.
I don't know what he did but where is the government supposed to get the money to pay him a decent pension.

Michaelt

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »
I only went in to a church to buy a coffee and a cake and they assumed I wanted the food bank.
I did laugh and say that the donors would not be pleased if they saw me taking food from the foodbank.
One man I know claims he worked hard all his life but did cash in hand jobs paying no tax for years.
I don't know what he did but where is the government supposed to get the money to pay him a decent pension.

GrannyMac

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »

Ask him Brian, and tell him he's a scrounger. Then let us know his reaction. 

Perhaps you could also visit the foodbank, and suggest that anyone there should get a job? Borrow a megaphone to make sure they can hear you.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2019, 04:14:18 PM »
I believe layabouts are in the minority, therefore not worth worrying about in the scheme of things

Michaelt,  You or I have no idea of the numbers involved, but be it  many or few, it  p****s me off at the thought that taxpayers are funding their self imposed idle lifestyle, when that money could be better used on the NHS, or care of the sick  elderly among many other things.

I remember a day back some 10/12 years ago and having nothing specific to occupy my mind I decided to look at what benefits I could claim and their value compared to my net monthly salary.

From memory the total amount came to well over £700 a week - £3033 a month. Not believing what I was seeing I went down to the local jobcentre to ask if I had it correct. Arrived there and faced a tirade of verbal abuse telling me I should be working and not working out what I could scam from the government. I politely explained that I do have a full time job working for the government and that I only wanted to find out what was on offer.
Suffice it to say I came out of there rather upset after being told that I am nothing more than a scrounger!

Pity help those that need the help and are faced with that attitude.

Raven

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »
It's no wonder some of the people who work there get lamped.

GrannyMac

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
Did you live in a mansion Goingtoseed, with a couple of children with disabilities and are disabled yourself? If you were a single person in a council flat, and fit and able to work you would perhaps get £700 in a month! 

20+ years ago my OH made the mistake of having a heart attack. He, after working for 35 years got around £62 incapacity benefit a week. 

R. Gervais

Michaelt

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »
Goingtoseed, this is what happens when people start thinking this way prompted by the right wing press and programmes like Benefit Street.  Its both evil minded and small minded.

People already have these attitudes to the unemployed, all it takes is a little help from Job Center staff.

Raven

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
Did you live in a mansion Goingtoseed, with a couple of children with disabilities and are disabled yourself? If you were a single person in a council flat, and fit and able to work you would perhaps get £700 in a month! 

20+ years ago my OH made the mistake of having a heart attack. He, after working for 35 years got around £62 incapacity benefit a week.

Who me? Errrr no. I was agreeing with Goingtoseed's post about the attitude of some Job Centre Staff.

GrannyMac

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »
If you read my post it does ask Goingtoseed the question.  It wasn't aimed at you.

R. Gervais

Bobcat

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 07:54:21 AM »
From memory the total amount came to well over £700 a week - £3033 a month.

Please be specific and tell us which benefits you could have claimed ??

brian54

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »
I am paying nearly £600 a month Income  Tax. I don't see why I should pay more just to support pensioners who did not bother to pay in to a pension. I know several who spent all their money down the boozer and on cigarettes.

Bobcat

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
I know several who spent all their money down the boozer and on cigarettes.

And I wonder if they enjoyed their life and didn't end up as bitter and twisted as you appear to be ??

brian54

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2019, 10:55:53 PM »
And I wonder if they enjoyed their life and didn't end up as bitter and twisted as you appear to be ??

I think they did enjoy their life until they had to stop work.
They have a bitter and twisted attitude towards people who did save for a pension because they can afford new cars and to treat the grandchildren.
They now realise they get enough to keep them alive.