Author Topic: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty  (Read 31227 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: 300,000 more pensioners living in poverty
« Reply #255 on: Jan 07, 2020, 05:53:35 AM »
I see where you are coming from, but it wouldn't suit everybody. With Veronica gone - and our little dog as well- I rattle around in a big four bed bungalow but I have a few friends nearby plus one of my Brothers-in-law pops in for a hour or so a couple of times a week. No way would I swap this for a one bed place no matter how well designed as part of an entity housing folk I have never met before and unable to accommodate a tenth of my books, general memorabilia, etc.
Can't say that I am happy with my lot without my loved ones, but this is the best I can look to
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #256 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:08:07 AM »
i think loneliness is a big factor in pensioners demise...
when i first came to Doncaster in a new housing estate built solely for miners
in the centre of the estate they built pensioners cottages/bungalows
i was so impressed that these people could be so caring of their elders, and hopefully the pensioners themselves looked after their neighbours..
to me it was a lesson soon forgotten... how many old men or women live all alone in the family home while their family live hundreds if not thousands of miles away?
lets get some single bedroom homes built in a circle with a cafe/canteen community centre in the middle
how many of us go from one day to the next with only tv for company
let those among us who may or may not be community leaders take note
just consider how many family homes could be released if one of these communities were built..
A perfect example why we moved in to our flat.

GrannyMac

« Reply #257 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:51:55 AM »
i think loneliness is a big factor in pensioners demise...
when i first came to Doncaster in a new housing estate built solely for miners
in the centre of the estate they built pensioners cottages/bungalows
i was so impressed that these people could be so caring of their elders, and hopefully the pensioners themselves looked after their neighbours..
to me it was a lesson soon forgotten... how many old men or women live all alone in the family home while their family live hundreds if not thousands of miles away?
lets get some single bedroom homes built in a circle with a cafe/canteen community centre in the middle
how many of us go from one day to the next with only tv for company
let those among us who may or may not be community leaders take note
just consider how many family homes could be released if one of these communities were built..

How about theses schemes Crabby?  https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/housing/extra-care-housing-schemes

If I was on my own, I'd move to something similar if I could.  I could quite happily give up the responsibility of maintaining a house!  My husband, on the other hand, would dislike any sort of community living.  While we are fortunate enough to have each other, and need no support, we'll stay put.

I think the age for applicants in the above is very low at 55 though, unless they have health or disability issues.  Nowadays 65 is more realistic, or even state pension age.   So many of us were and are still working well into our sixties.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #258 on: Jan 18, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
Thanx Granny, Doncaster sounds like a nice place.. ;D
my previous suggestions, werent meant as compulsory, just an option i would like to have
if i wernt a gypo.. 8) ... in the not too distant future i dont doubt my travelling might have to cease...
and living in an area like that sounds like a good idea to me
but then i come from a caring family, i used to carry my granny downstairs every morning to make my breakfast before i went down t'pit...... ;D ;D ;D
and i toast her every june 2nd which was her birthday xxxxx
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #259 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanx Granny, Doncaster sounds like a nice place.. ;D
my previous suggestions, werent meant as compulsory, just an option i would like to have
if i wernt a gypo.. 8) ... in the not too distant future i dont doubt my travelling might have to cease...
and living in an area like that sounds like a good idea to me
but then i come from a caring family, i used to carry my granny downstairs every morning to make my breakfast before i went down t'pit...... ;D ;D ;D
and i toast her every june 2nd which was her birthday xxxxx

I'm glad you had a granny Crabby.   ;)    Unfortunately looking for suitable housing is something lots of us put off thinking we're fine as we are. Great until we aren't!  Not a bad idea to have a look at what's out there.

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #260 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »
There is no poverty. I am getting told all the time everybody has £5,000,000.00 except me.

Ashy

« Reply #261 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:22:27 AM »
The question as always is how you define poverty. I would not expect poverty today to be anything like poverty in 1840 or 1926. However hundreds of thousands could be lifted out of poverty, or alternatively dropped into it, simply by changing the definition. In much the same way as being unemployed has been redefined many times over the years.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #262 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:42:22 AM »
Very true
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #263 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:27:17 AM »
A man told me yesterday it was not worth him working as he gets universal credit amounting to £160 a week plus he gets his rent amounting to £107 a week plus council tax amounting to £18 a week.
Surely it is time benefits were cut.

GrannyMac

« Reply #264 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »
The question as always is how you define poverty. I would not expect poverty today to be anything like poverty in 1840 or 1926. However hundreds of thousands could be lifted out of poverty, or alternatively dropped into it, simply by changing the definition. In much the same way as being unemployed has been redefined many times over the years.

You are right.  When its described as a % its misleading.  It does no favours to those on the very lowest incomes.  Some of us might fall into the current definition of 'poverty' yet not be lacking anything needed for a reasonably comfortable life.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #265 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:27:12 AM »
A man told me yesterday it was not worth him working as he gets universal credit amounting to £160 a week plus he gets his rent amounting to £107 a week plus council tax amounting to £18 a week.

Do you believe everything these random people tell you? If you knew anything about Universal credit you would know rent and council tax allowances are normally included in the monthly payment not added to it.  Even if he does get those spurious amounts, they might be to support a family, or include disability benefits.  Without actual facts Brian, this has about as much legitimacy as everyone except you having £5mill.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #266 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:02:27 AM »

Do you believe everything these random people tell you? If you knew anything about Universal credit you would know rent and council tax allowances are normally included in the monthly payment not added to it.  Even if he does get those spurious amounts, they might be to support a family, or include disability benefits.  Without actual facts Brian, this has about as much legitimacy as everyone except you having £5mill.

In defence of Brian, I have to say I wish I had a quid for every claimant that told me it wasn't worth them starting work.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #267 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Benefits have been capped as I understand it. What I would like to see is a benefit system that reflected what a person could reasonably be expected tp earn if they were working. Basing benefits on £31,000 a year seems a bit high to me for someone who would struggle to earn £20 k.

klondike

« Reply #268 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »
Gordon Brown iirc made sure that those earning low wages were helped out with tax credits. The result naturally enough was many jobs paying less than it is possible to actually live on creating a raft of people dependent on state handouts and in his mind more likely to vote Labour. Of course it also made those profiting from cheap labour even more likely to vote Labour too. Judging by the last election though there is a flaw in the logic somewhere.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #269 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:09:28 PM »
In defence of Brian, I have to say I wish I had a quid for every claimant that told me it wasn't worth them starting work.

You'd be a rich man. I've had that said to me too. But unlike you or me, Brian didn't work with people at the poorest end of society.   All his colleagues had access to a final salary pension.  ;)

R. Gervais