Author Topic: A changing society  (Read 1096 times)

fortyone

Re: A changing society
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
Given the prevalence I'd say that you maybe do. I don't have a particularly wide circle of friends but know two same sex couples both female as it happens.

Scrumpy

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »

Oh dear Sparky..  I got it wrong again..
   I said I didn't know much about Lesbians and Homosexuals...
  That, sort of proves it.. :D
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

sparky

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »

Scrumpy, That is  nothing to some of the c**k ups I make, mostly in the kitchen, milk in the oven, clean plates put back  in the dishwasher, the list goes on. and I'm only 88. don't  know what I will do when I start to get old. ;D ;D ;D

fortyone

« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

mick607

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
As far as I am concerned same sex couples are perverse & I will never accept as normal no matter what the PC brigade say.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Bobcat

« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
What she we do with "them", lock them up, chemical castration, public hanging etc.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
As far as I am concerned same sex couples are perverse & I will never accept as normal no matter what the PC brigade say.

Thankfully we have parliamentary democracy and a strong judiciary.  I have to ask what on earth is normal?  Someone may think they are but others may not agree. 
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2019, 05:24:40 PM by Undercover Pensioner »
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Bee

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
When I lived in Hong Kong in the early 1980's my best friend was a homosexual man, he was a very nice man and a perfect gentleman.
I abhor ignorance.

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »

Oh dear Sparky..  I got it wrong again..
I said I didn't know much about Lesbians and Homosexuals...
That, sort of proves it.. :D

Just a thought, but if two lesbians have a row, is because they've rubbed each other up the wrong way?
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »

I refer my honourable friend to my previous answer.  It's difficult if you don't know someone to know whether that is how they would like to be addressed so both parties have to give a little on salutations in my opinion.  Ladies and gentlemen is a little formal for this day and age and I personally find it condescending as it is used to paint a particular view each. I wouldn't take offense at it's use by a little old man (or woman) as I would put it down to their own social upbringing.  On the other hand I would be surprised if a younger person used it and feel it would tell me quite a bit about how the see the world and themselves in it.

I was being a bit facetious with L&G, the only time I've heard those terms recently was related to entertainment.

At work, we would ask people how they wished to be addressed.  Some older people preferred the formal Mr or Mrs.  Some liked to be known by their first name.  Occasionally the first name or title didn't seem to match the gender of the person, but that was their choice and we respected it. 
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

GrannyMac

« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »

And people wonder why I don't watch tv..

I watch loads of stuff on TV, a real mixture, but I don't think i have the same channels as BP ☺️

Aesop

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »
Again, it comes back to thoughtfulness of how you will make others feel.  Let's face it you don't actually need to be all over someone else in public generally.  I think if you have house shared at any point you might have lower embarrassment thresholds though and many young people do this.  Very different from going from mum and dad's to the marital home.

That's an interesting one as obviously some people's parents have been working for the changes from the "sweep it under the carpet" society - which was only ever true in some social classes (when social class mattered) I feel.

I don't actually think my parents did think it was a bad thing - mum just would have thought discussing it was not the thing to do and dad would probably have supported the changes.  The difference is, I suppose, down to their upbringing.  So when we think this way we are being influenced by 19th century views rather than 21st century ones.  The damage that was done by keeping people in marriages no one would expect them to stay in now, by making homosexuality illegal, and by the treatment of both mothers and children when a child was born "out of wedlock" is, to me, well worth having to sort out the difficulties of making life about people not intransigent rules.

My parents were quite traditional. My dad was born in 1904, he was well educated, but I doubt many of his generation were perhaps as liberal as your parents.  My aunt divorced her husband, and it wasn't spoken about.

Aesop

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Just a thought, but if two lesbians have a row, is because they've rubbed each other up the wrong way?

You've been listening to Phil.... 🙄

Aesop

mick607

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »
What she we do with "them", lock them up, chemical castration, public hanging etc.
Well, that's a start.Seriously tho, all I want is the right to have my own opinion not some jumped up do - gooder or govt telling me I can't have free speech in case it offends the "Easily offended".
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2019, 09:10:57 PM by mick607 »
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:00:01 PM »
Well, that's a start.Seriously tho, all I want is the right to have my own opinion not some jumped up do - gooder or govt telling me I can't have free speech in case it offends the "Easily offended".

There really isn't such a thing as totally free speech and never has been.  If your freedom limits someone else's then the law tends to step in.  The whole idea that you should be able to say whatever you want with no mind to how you affect others has always been a myth.  It seem to me this sort of argument is just about selfishness.  Of course everyone has the right to offend but what does it say about those who want to do that just because they can.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.