Author Topic: A changing society  (Read 6128 times)

sparky

A changing society
« on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
I do have trouble getting my head around how things have changed over the years, when I hear a male politician on TV talking about his husband, and a female contestant on a game show referring to her female fiancée and their wedding.

Diasi

Re: A changing society
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
I do have trouble getting my head around how things have changed over the years, when I hear a male politician on TV talking about his husband, and a female contestant on a game show referring to her female fiancée and their wedding.

Are you still allowed to call people male & female?

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
I think our parents would have been shocked by the number of divorces, single parent families being quite open about their situation,  mixed race marriages and anyone being openly homosexual. Working in the public sector I had to be aware of the possibility of any customer having different characteristics, so I'm rarely surprised by individual lifestyles.  That doesn't mean I believe every change is good for society, but I'm glad we aren't as judgemental (or some of us aren't) about people's differences.  As long as someone's behaviour doesn't impact on the rest of us, I'm pretty ok with it.

For the record, I don't like seeing people all over each other in public, whether gay or straight. Some decorum please!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »

I don't see why not.  Or men and women.  Or even Ladies and Gentlemen.  :o 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »
Grannymac, As  you say as long as it does not impact on the rest of us, But I just find it strange that in such  a short space of time, this sort of relationship even now what many folk would regard as  unnatural, whereas in past the people involved  would avoid it being known,  now the individuals concerned  seem to go out of their way to shout it from the rooftops.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
Politicians can afford to live in fantasy land.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
I'd make a personal contribution to their air fares there if it would help so long as they promised not to come back. Bit like the supposed perv who they built a school near in Sutton. That does seem to have gone quiet lately. Perhaps he moved.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
Yes, if that is how they call themselves.  That has always been true.  It is rude to call someone a name with which they don't identify.  We learn to live with that rudeness and put it down to ignorance but it is still rude.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »

I don't see why not.  Or men and women.  Or even Ladies and Gentlemen.  :o

I refer my honourable friend to my previous answer.  It's difficult if you don't know someone to know whether that is how they would like to be addressed so both parties have to give a little on salutations in my opinion.  Ladies and gentlemen is a little formal for this day and age and I personally find it condescending as it is used to paint a particular view each. I wouldn't take offense at it's use by a little old man (or woman) as I would put it down to their own social upbringing.  On the other hand I would be surprised if a younger person used it and feel it would tell me quite a bit about how the see the world and themselves in it.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Sparky,
Changes have happened, but the mistake is to believe that everyone is in a same-sex relationship - you get a much distorted feel for things from TV.
The MSM, the BBC and ITV and Channel4, are involved with WOKE WARS, a campaign designed to change your and my way of thinking.  The belief being, that you and I are old-fashioned, out-of-touch, reactionary, so the only way to re-educate us is by shoving WOKISM in our faces, and the only way of shoving WOKISM in our faces is to present every second person as LGBT and in a same sex relationship. 
So, for example, quiz shows no longer go for a contestant panel that is a balanced representation of the population at large, they go for an unbalanced panel with every second contestant with a more interesting life story because they are LGBT and preferrably in a same sex relationship.  No point in having dull you on Sparky, being (happily) married for fifty years is pretty dull and unremarkable.  Normality (that's provocative - because it might suggest that anyone unlike you is not normal, whereas I mean it in the sense that it is closer to the norm to be like you happily married in a same sex relationship) is unremarkable.
To be really interesting you need to have divorced from a thirty year same sex marriage, transitioned into the opposite of your birth sex, and now living with someone whose transitioned in the opposite direction.  That's interesting.  And it subtly is supposed to change your views to it all too - that's the principal point. 
WOKE re-education and entertainment next.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:17:40 PM »
Sparky,
Changes have happened, but the mistake is to believe that everyone is in a same-sex relationship - you get a much distorted feel for things on TV.
The MSM, the BBC and ITV and Channel4, are involved with WOKE WARS, a campaign designed to change your and my way of thinking.  The belief being, that you and I are old-fashioned, out-of-touch, reactionary, so the only way to re-educate us is by shoving WOKISM in our faces, and the only way of shoving WOKISM in our faces is to present every second person as LGBT and in a same sex relationship. 
So, for example, quiz shows no longer go for a contestant panel that is a balanced representation of the population at large, they go for an unbalanced panel with every second contestant with a more interesting life story because they are LGBT and preferrably in a same sex relationship.  No point in having dull you on Sparky, being (happily) married for fifty years is pretty dull and unremarkable. 
To be really interesting you need to have divorced from a thirty year same sex marriage, transitioned into the opposite of your birth sex, and now living with someone whose transition in the opposite direction.  That's interesting.  And it subtly is supposed to change your views to it all too - that's the principal point. 
WOKE re-education and entertainment next.

And people wonder why I don't watch tv..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
For the record, I don't like seeing people all over each other in public, whether gay or straight. Some decorum please!

Again, it comes back to thoughtfulness of how you will make others feel.  Let's face it you don't actually need to be all over someone else in public generally.  I think if you have house shared at any point you might have lower embarrassment thresholds though and many young people do this.  Very different from going from mum and dad's to the marital home.

I think our parents would have been shocked by the number of divorces, single parent families being quite open about their situation,  mixed race marriages and anyone being openly homosexual.

That's an interesting one as obviously some people's parents have been working for the changes from the "sweep it under the carpet" society - which was only ever true in some social classes (when social class mattered) I feel.

I don't actually think my parents did think it was a bad thing - mum just would have thought discussing it was not the thing to do and dad would probably have supported the changes.  The difference is, I suppose, down to their upbringing.  So when we think this way we are being influenced by 19th century views rather than 21st century ones.  The damage that was done by keeping people in marriages no one would expect them to stay in now, by making homosexuality illegal, and by the treatment of both mothers and children when a child was born "out of wedlock" is, to me, well worth having to sort out the difficulties of making life about people not intransigent rules.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »

And people wonder why I don't watch tv..

I think you could watch in safety zoony.  I have a feeling you would not see the same thing at all.  You might not even watch the same programmes as watching them does seem to be some sort of act of self flagellation for some people.

Scrumpy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »

My mum would have smacked my legs if I had said  ' Homosexual '.
 .. and as for Lesbian,well , we didn't even know there was such a word...!

In my day we knew nothing .. 
  Some of the nicest people that I know are living with partners of the opposite sex..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

sparky

« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:58:08 PM »

Some of the nicest people that I know are living with partners of the opposite sex..

Scrumpy, All the people I know are living with partners of the opposite sex, so knowing no couples of the same sex, seems I live in what is now an old fashioned bubble nowadays.