Author Topic: A changing society  (Read 6122 times)

biglouis

Re: A changing society
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »
Having been single for most of my life (except for a very short marriage which did not work out) I have always felt very comfortable around gay men. Having a favorite nephew who is gay I just got used to having gay men around (a bit like the Queen Mother who liked gay men on her staff). There was never any pressure to "perform" or present as a woman or to look or dress a certain way. If I need anything doing around the house that I cant manage (such as decorating) my nephew will turn up (with one of his friends if necessary) and do it.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
Quote from: xetog link=topic=19719.msg343243#msg343243 dat2e=1552234334
Political correctness stalks the land.  … …

Mike.X

It would be interesting to hear how you define "political correctness" MikeX as it seems to me to be a populist phrase - rather like "Brexit", designed to mean nothing explicitly but to cover enough differing definitions to form it own "gang" of adherents.   

What if I was to say that the use of the phrase "political correctness"  is almost the exclusive preserve of reactionary snowflakes.? Would we understand each any better in any way?  How would people feel about me using those words? 

If you look at the history of the expression almost nobody who argues for respectful language has used those words in the last three decades.  Prior to that it was occasionally used by Marxists.  So a generally unknown phrase, used by Marxists is now used by those trying to conjure up the idea that a whole group of people who try to resist insensitivity or discrimination are all the same.  Some may take this to extremes, some may just want people to be nice to one another  What they are not is an actual group, they are individuals who would no doubt question why they deserve to be attacked in a crude, rude or aggressive manner and yet, in groups where this amorphous "political correctness" is attacked this is very often the way it is done.   We seem to end up with two types of people - those striving for sensitivity and inclusiveness or those who have become so disinhibited they have lost all sense of civility towards others.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

fortyone

« Reply #47 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:07:09 PM »
There was a lady lived across the close from me who had a different bloke turn up most weekends - arrive Friday and leave sometime Sunday. All sorts of jobs got done - gardening, car mechanics, fence repairs, painting, just about any job you can imagine. Her children called them all uncle but they didn't look like they were brothers.

xetog

« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

I don't think that's a new thing 41.  Women have gossiped about "er up the road" since time immemorial although whether the visitors were open to a bit of DIY is a matter of opinion ;D ;D .

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #49 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
I think Bazzers pulling scrumpy's leg but forgot the emoji.
Diasi,
Well good on you for taking it in good part,
I hadn't noticed the imoji, but even had I, I would have thought the comment tasteless.  As you don't mind, there's no spilt milk, as they used to say.

From my understanding, I took it wrongly, perhaps, having just read this paragraph in an article:
"There were no gay kids or teachers in my school. Of course, there were – statistically speaking there were lots of them – but everyone had to keep up appearances in order to appease those grey-suited ‘family values’ politicians who, at the time, seemed to be ubiquitous. (Though, as we gleaned from the newspapers that our parents read, it was those given to moralizing about sex that you had to watch out for)."

The trope of the last sentence being important, as it conjures up the image of the big tough working class bloke who beats up gays for fun when he himself is gay.  The sort of trope regularly shown on MSM like the BBC, and a trope that others buy into too.

Diasi

« Reply #50 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »

As long as he's not offended on your behalf 🤓

Would that make it virtue-offending?  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #51 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »
I don't think that's a new thing 41.  Women have gossiped about "er up the road" since time immemorial although whether the visitors were open to a bit of DIY is a matter of opinion ;D ;D .
Mike.X
My 80+ year old next door neighbour has a 75 year old toy boy. She booted him out a month back but I see he is back now. Not sure what he is actually good for as she moans that all he does is sit on his butt in front of the TV all day.

Ashy

« Reply #52 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
If he sat on her butt behind the TV she would have something to complain about.

fortyone

« Reply #53 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:33:07 PM »
He does take her dog out quite early. When he isn't around she isn't exactly an early riser. Perhaps that is the vital function. I really have no idea why she puts up with him. All of her kids hate him and she frequently bad mouths him herself. All very strange.

xetog

« Reply #54 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »

It's keeping cheerful that keeps some folk going!

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

« Reply #55 on: Mar 11, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »
He does take her dog out quite early. When he isn't around she isn't exactly an early riser. Perhaps that is the vital function. I really have no idea why she puts up with him. All of her kids hate him and she frequently bad mouths him herself. All very strange.

Are you sure he's not her ex?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #56 on: Mar 11, 2019, 05:13:42 PM »

"There were no gay kids or teachers in my school. Of course, there were – statistically speaking there were lots of them –
Please define 'lots' because until you do and the number is, at the least a very significant minority, I simply don't believe you. There were undoubtedly 'some'-but 'lots'? Prove it.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #57 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »
Diasi,
Well good on you for taking it in good part,
I hadn't noticed the imoji, but even had I, I would have thought the comment tasteless.  As you don't mind, there's no spilt milk, as they used to say.

My remark was aimed at Diasi. I care little of what you think.
 Diasi is well able to take a leg pull.. He pulls a few himself..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #58 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:48:08 PM »
Would that make it virtue-offending?  ;D

Dunno, I can't keep up.  🤓😆
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #59 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
Are you sure he's not her ex?
Her ex died years ago. An absolutely perfect husband apparently if you listen to what she has to say. I knew them both as this was my parent's house.