Author Topic: A changing society  (Read 6123 times)

zoony

Re: A changing society
« Reply #60 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »
I meant it as a joke really but thank you for the reply.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #61 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »

My remark was aimed at Diasi. I care little of what you think.
Diasi is well able to take a leg pull.. He pulls a few himself..

Including my own.  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #62 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D   That's what I like about you.. You dish it out and you can take it back..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #63 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:27:23 AM »
;D ;D ;D   That's what I like about you.. You dish it out and you can take it back..

I appreciate your comment.

I first learned to take it back when I was a youngster & I had a wee outside without checking which way the wind was blowing.

;D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #64 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:18:07 AM »

I first learned to take it back when I was a youngster & I had a wee outside without checking which way the wind was blowing.

;D

;D ;D

Scrumpy

« Reply #65 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »

Funny you should say that... Me and Sam were on our way back from Lincoln.. The wind and rain was tremendous .. I needed a wee so Sam pulled in where the truckers stop.. I got out the front passenger side and left the door wide open. Sam opened the the rear passenger door and stood by me as I squatted.. He needed a wee too.  As he was weeing a gust of wind caught his wee and it blew all over me... So,so funny...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

xetog

« Reply #66 on: Apr 12, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
How long before the state decides that parents are no longer fit to bring up their own children and removes them to state institutions until they are adults for indoctrination?  That's only a small leap for some schools.

Mike X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Ashy

« Reply #67 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:58:02 AM »
Although it is a well know phenomenon that pubs are closing down at a staggering rate, Brian has made an interesting point that society is changing. Our homes are clearly becoming more comfortable and therefore going out is becoming relatively less attractive. It implies that men and women are spending more time together, but that may not be the case.

sparky

« Reply #68 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »

. Our homes are clearly becoming more comfortable and therefore going out is becoming relatively less attractive.

Ashy, Yeah when I think back to my Grandparent's tiny bare living room in the  East End of London, No TV, No radio, its not surprising they toddled of frequently to the local pub for the inevitable sing song.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #69 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
That's a good point. For a while (June 1945 to June 1947 approx) we had a flat over my grandfather's pub just off the Old Kent Road and it was always packed of an evening - when you think what the average home would have been like in that impoverished area, I guess the warmth and bonhomie of the pub would have been very attractive.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #70 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »
. Our homes are clearly becoming more comfortable and therefore going out is becoming relatively less attractive.

I would think that's the same criteria for the demise of the traditional high street as well.

Yesterday I didn't need to drive, park & then walk to a camera shop / electronics shop for a 256GB SD card.

I just had to spend a few minutes checking the prices & reading the reviews on Amazon, before buying one which will be with me today.

Ashy

« Reply #71 on: Apr 13, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »
I can't argue with that seeing as the postman has just delivered a tin of paint. Indeed you couldn't park in our high street even if there was a shop there to go to. Most of the high street today has shops where you have to be present to receive the service, hair dressers, nail bars, cafes and the like, some booze shops and offices like estate agents, immigration lawyers, and polish accountants.

mick607

« Reply #72 on: Apr 13, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
Several reasons I think, internet shopping is much less stressful & as previously mentioned town centre parking is either too expensive or impossible or too stressful.I believe the pubs have lost out to the supermarkets due to hugely inflated prices pubs charge. Anyway who wants sit having a quiet drink in a pub surrounded by uncontrolled screaming brats ? I certainly don't.

Ashy

« Reply #73 on: Apr 13, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »
Not to mention people who know someone who has married a house owner late in life who has a private pension. They never go on about a man who has married a fancy woman in order to have someone to leave his house to.