Author Topic: A united Ireland.  (Read 937 times)

ronyork

A united Ireland.
« on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Will it ever be possible, seems to be a solution to the current problem. or would it be more problems, A referendum perhaps, then let them sort their own problems out.

fortyone

Re: A united Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:50:59 AM »
A majority in the North do not want a United Ireland and spent decades at a cost of many lives and lots of our tax money fighting the terrorists who wanted to impose one. The current problem as you put it is the EU and not Northern Ireland.

Perhaps you'd like to hand over Gibralta to the Spanish too while you are about it despite those folks being loyal to the crown?

ronyork

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
fortyone, well it.s worth consideration,,  no doubt it cost,s us a packet, plus the Falklands.

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »
The EU don't want the Falklands.

If it wasn't for the DUP we'd likely have been saddled with May's shіtty withdrawal agreement. We owe them more than the £billion bribe May slipped them for that alone.

On the union in general I personally am not that fussed as all of the other three countries cost us financial support but if we start making that a criteria how long would it be before the City of London declared UDI. No I'm afraid the best way forward for me is as Great Britain.

Now if Eire wanted to throw its lot in with us I think we should give it some consideration. After all if we leave on WTO terms their economy will be down at the level of Greece. OTOH it's their willingness to be  a tool of the EU in blocking any acceptable deal so bugger 'em.

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
I very much doubt it, they have been at each other's throats over Religion for several hundred years now. Was watching the final part of a Documentary about the reign of The Stuarts and the start of the Union and Ireland was fighting then.

fortyone

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Religion
There's that damned word again...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
The Good Friday Agreement stipulates that if a majority of the population on NI want to combine with Eire then it will happen. Shudder to think how a 51/49 vote might be seen by both 'sides'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:20:29 PM »
Oh, and I have always thought that the 1922 'solution' was a mistake. All of Ireland should have stayed as one independent country at that time. There would have been fighting (but there was anyway) and simmering resentment (but there was anyway) and hopefully things would have calmed down over time and the death toll (I'm guessing) might have been less than we have seen anyway.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
There's that damned word again...

Oops.  :-*

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »
Maybe the Irish republic should leave the EU.
You'll have had your tea.

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:38:08 PM »
I lived in Larne N.I. For 3 years...there is no solution to religious differences I'm sure.  People were absolutely lovely but every public occasion a minefield.  My little social space contained Church of Ireland, Catholic and Plymouth Brethren, the difficulty lay in the ever present religion at the root of social life.  we didn't help our selves by going to South Africa...Benoni nr. Johannesburg!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

em

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:04:52 PM »
Why would the Irish republic leave the EU,Traveller? They know which side of their bread is buttered on.

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »
There will be very little butter on it if we leave with no deal.

em

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
I am not so sure,Fortyone.My brain is now addled with so much thinking.

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »
I don't pretend to be an expert on Eire's economy but I have read stories from several sources and they all suggest that a no deal Brexit for us will result in the economy of Southern Ireland sinking deeper than whale [censored]. Those stories may or may not be correct of course and making trade with their biggest maket (us) more difficult could lead to a boost in their economy but I tend to doubt that.