Author Topic: Retirement course.  (Read 494 times)

brian54

Retirement course.
« on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:48:16 PM »
I spoke to a man today and they told him to look at care homes in case he need to go in one and to make sure he has enough savings for 3 years fees.
He is 60. It may be 30+  years before he needs care if ever. How does he know if a care home will exist in 30 years time. As far as I am concerned I am enjoying my money with my daughters and granddaughters and sons in law.

StephenM123

Re: Retirement course.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
Who are they?

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »
Who are they?

They are the people running the retirement course.

StephenM123

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
With the increased retirement age he will have an extra year to save!

Sheila

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »
The retirement course that my husband took before he came out of the RAF had consequences.  They were advised that, if they were thinking about getting married, to do so before they retired for pension reasons.  Also, marry someone who works in a bank or building society.  I worked in a bank!

So this very romantic (not) proposal was put to me and 26 years later we are still very happy together. 

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:15:43 AM »
When I was newly widowed a guy at the (whatever) offices told me NOT to marry until I was claiming a state pension.. Apparently they COULD stop widows pension but NOT state pension..
I am sure I remember it like that.. I was 52 at the time so he thought I might do the marriage thing again..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
If you are married before you retire then most private pensions will automatically pay half pension to a surviving spouse who you add by filling in a form. It may reduced the pension slightly on a purchased annuity but certainly it was built in on my occupational scheme. I'm not sure on a drawdown pot that isn't emptied.

brian54

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:55:30 AM »
The retirement course that my husband took before he came out of the RAF had consequences.  They were advised that, if they were thinking about getting married, to do so before they retired for pension reasons.  Also, marry someone who works in a bank or building society.  I worked in a bank!

So this very romantic (not) proposal was put to me and 26 years later we are still very happy together.

I know in some cases if a widowed spouse gets married again the pension his former wife's / husband's pension will stop. Mine will continue to be paid.
I will not get married again after seeing what problems it could cause to your offspring. Dad had a lady friend for about 6 weeks and she suddenly demanded I left not realising I owned half of the house.
Dad died and she was on the phone the next morning demanding I handed the house over to her. She said she was going to contest the will but nothing happened.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:05:25 AM »
If you are married before you retire then most private pensions will automatically pay half pension to a surviving spouse who you add by filling in a form. It may reduced the pension slightly on a purchased annuity but certainly it was built in on my occupational scheme. I'm not sure on a drawdown pot that isn't emptied.

Another pension scam, it should be paid to a spouse no matter when you get married.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)